Community Outreach Coordinator
Woodbury University invites applications for a Community Outreach Coordinator. The Community Outreach Coordinator will launch a new program that supports student internships and employment in sustainability practices and promotes sustainability through civic engagement events and activities. The Outreach Coordinator will support three new academic programs-- in sustainable practices, construction management, and environmental sciences—and through coordination of activities and engaging students, faculty and community partners, will promote sustainable practices on campus and community-wide. This position will work as part of a team to create and implement a holistic, multi-faceted student support network to support students throughout their academic journey. The Community Outreach program will also help expand access to STEM careers for students from diverse backgrounds that are underrepresented in those fields. We seek candidates with professional experience and a demonstrated interest promoting an inclusive culture, including Black, Indigenous, and communities of color, in campus and community initiatives.
Sustainability Programs Grant
This position is funded by a Title V HSI Sustainability Programs grant and reports to the grant’s Activity Director. A goal of this grant is to support a coordinated approach to identifying skills students will use on the job, to referring students to work-based experiences, and to connecting with employers around university programs in sustainability practices. This initiative will not only serve to build capacity in sustainability practices but will expand access to STEM fields for underrepresented groups. The successful candidate will focus on the three new STEM programs during the five years of the grant but upon completion of the grant will work across departments in the university.
Salary and Benefits
Salary Range - $55,374 to $60,409
This position qualifies for generous University-sponsored employee benefit plans and programs (e.g., group health insurance, life insurance, tax deferred annuity plan, annual vacation, sick, and paid holidays), subject to the eligibility requirements and conditions of each plan and program.
- Work with faculty and community partners to identify and launch initiatives that link degree programs to community opportunities.
- Develop and pilot sustainability-related community projects.
- Identify and create opportunities for students to gain internship/work experience through sustainable practice initiatives.
- Coordinate with career services, faculty and staff regarding volunteer community and work opportunities.
- Help students find internships and employment after graduation.
- Engage with students, particularly with students in specified degree programs (Sustainable Practices, Construction Management, and Environmental Sciences).
- Maintain a calendar of outreach activities, including community events, workshops, and other communication opportunities.
- Assist in the organization of special events, including volunteer appreciation events.
- Prepare an annual budget for community outreach activities.
- Develop new, and nurture, collaborative partnerships.
- Document and maintain records of outreach activities and outcomes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Qualifications include a Master’s degree in educational administration, community relations, or a related discipline or equivalent experience.
- At least 3 years experience in education (preferably in a university setting).
- Knowledgeable about and committed to supporting sustainability practices and policies.
- Ability to work effectively with ethnically diverse populations.
- Outstanding written communication and presentation skills.
- Friendly, enthusiastic, and positive attitude.
- Strong organizational, management, and planning skills.
- Strong knowledge of social media and other basic community platforms.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, and occasional weekends or evenings.
- Able to drive personal car to school sites or locations for work purposes.
- Willingness to travel around greater Los Angeles area.
Physical Requirements: (Due to Covid-19 telecommute is available)
- Close vision, hearing/listening, and clear speech.
- Manual hand/fingers dexterity.
- Frequently sit, sort, file paperwork, grasp lightly, and use of fine manipulation, lift, carry, push and pull objects that weigh 10 pounds or less.
- Ability to utilize office equipment such as computers and copiers.
- Works with/around and has verbal and face-to-face contact with others.
- Works indoors in an office environment majority of the time.
- Simple to complex reading, writing, clerical, and math ability.
- Occasionally write by hand, twist, bend, stoop and
*Consistent with obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodations to perform the essential functions of the job.
- May work extended hours during peak business cycles, including weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work with Woodbury colleagues and external partners.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Promotes Culture of Inclusivity
About Woodbury University
Woodbury offers a unique experience that is personal, communal and practice-based. Every undergraduate major requires an internship, giving students work experience and a competitive advantage after graduation. The main campus is a beautiful 22-acres situated in Burbank, CA, offering an array of on-campus possibilities to promote sustainable practices and proximity to numerous community partners in the greater Los Angeles region. The university is committed to environmental and social justice, and to promoting sustainable practices. Woodbury University transforms students into innovative professionals who will contribute responsibly to the global community. The university offers 26 undergraduate and graduate majors in the Schools of Architecture, Business, and Media, Culture & Design and the College of Liberal Arts. Woodbury University has both regional and professional accreditations. https://woodbury.edu/about/about-woodbury/facts-and-figures/
Woodbury University is a Hispanic Serving Institution with an undergraduate enrollment of 1,117 students, of which 68% are students of color and 48% are Federal Pell Grant recipients. The university values diversity, equity, and inclusiveness as an essential part of an experience-centered education. This commitment to celebrate the unique perspectives, contributions, and backgrounds of each individual is part of our DNA, with students from over 40 countries providing an exciting atmosphere that reflects the cultural diversity of Southern California.
Review of applications will begin immediately and remain open until filled. Submissions should include:
- Current CV which lists the candidate’s educational and employment history
- Contact information for at least three references
- Cover letter indicating interest and qualifications
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Woodbury University is dedicated to celebrating diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Woodbury University is an EEO/AA institution committed to multicultural diversity in its peoples and programs. All employment decisions for all job classifications will be made on the basis of such factors as education, character, ability, skill and training, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political orientation, disability, veteran status, marital status, parental status, genetic information, membership or non-membership in any lawful organization, or any other protected status.