Online Instructional Designer and Pedagogy Specialist
The Online Instructional Designer - Pedagogy Specialist works collaboratively with faculty and staff to a) develop online courses and eLearning modules that enhance students’ learning via interactive activities and b) train faculty in the use of emerging educational technology and innovative teaching practices. This individual is charged with working closely with faculty on development of active learning strategies and creating eLearning, interactive video, and other multimedia content to be used both synchronously and asynchronously. A minimum of three years online teaching experience is required.
This position will provide faculty instructional design assistance, including web-based applications and digital media to support teaching and learning in graduate-level studies in humanistic disciplines and psychology licensure programs. In addition, this individual will serve as advisor to faculty on content-authoring resources including, but not limited to presentation, podcasting, animation, screen and video capture, and interactive multimedia.
We seek a relational and highly creative individual who can train and collaborate with faculty in implementing cutting-edge instructional design approaches leading to effective learning experiences for graduate students. The selected candidate will be an active member of the appropriate faculty committees, cooperative with Academic Affairs and Student Services, and report to the Office of the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs.
The position may also include direct engagement with students via teaching in an appropriate Pacifica program(s) or courses on emergent tools usage in careers and professions. The position may collaborate with our Retreat Center in the development of online, public content, including non-academic degree program certificates.
The Online Designer - Pedagogy Specialist develops and monitors an interdisciplinary and inter-medial online community of inquiry informed by a constructivist-learning model that views knowledge creation as socially constructed online within and outside graduate student cohorts, in collaboration with the Provost, Program Chairs, and the Academic Affairs Office. The chosen candidate will develop a learning environment of dynamic interaction among students (social engagement), students and course content (cognitive engagement), and students and instructor (pedagogical engagement). In alignment with the Institute’s mission, the goal is to create educational content through a holistic approach that is mindful of the psychology of digital teaching and learning within a virtual environment.
- Collaborate with the Programs Chairs and Provost in leading the development and upgrading of online and hybrid courses and effective online pedagogy.
- Demonstrate best practices in online course design through the production of engaging and accessible course learning experiences that are developed with consideration to diversity, equity, and inclusion of all instructors and learners.
- Plan and provide training materials and recommend pedagogical practices to faculty and staff to promote student success with online/hybrid learning.
- Lead the faculty in the creation of an Online Quality Control Blueprint of criteria as the quality control tool for all online/hybrid courses.
- Provide instructional and accessible online/hybrid design support based on industry best practices of online pedagogy to meet learning objectives.
- Assist faculty with understanding and meeting universal accessibility and ADA compliance requirements for online courses and digital learning content.
- Assist the Office of Institutional Learning by generating data for final reports to be used for ongoing assessment, accreditation, and compliance.
- Produce written documents as requested by the Provost that are clear and appropriately detailed, related to internal procedures, course design, and pedagogy.
- Manage multiple projects and timelines while collaborating with program chairs and other stakeholders to execute hybrid and online-related projects.
- Assist in revising course segments within the LMS Desire to Learn (D2L) to align with Online Quality Control Blueprint of criteria, design standards, and best practices regarding hybrid and online teaching.
- Provide technical assistance to faculty (in conjunction with IT Office) in the use and maintenance of online learning materials, including multimedia components, such as audio, video, and graphics.
- Recommend instructional and design technology resources to Provost and IT Office.
- Ensure consistent application of styles and established layout processes in learning management system Desire to Learn (D2L).
- Coordinate ongoing online faculty training to ensure pedagogical best practices and course design to enhance student success.
- The position may also allow for teaching opportunities in Pacifica’s academic offerings or courses on emergent tools usage in careers and professions.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
- Master’s degree and 3-years experience in instructional design, computer information science, information systems, information technology, technical communications, art new media, graphic design, or closely related field.
- Experience leading online teacher training development.
- Evidence of successful online teaching experience in higher education.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency in course authoring, such as graphic design tools, web teleconferencing, Google tools, Zoom/Zoom carts, Microsoft Suite, mobile technologies, online research.
- Basic proficiency with learning management system tools (i.e., D2L) to create and manipulate graphic, video, conference rooms, and multiple interactive elements.
- Strong organization skills with emphasis on being conscientious, relational, and detail-oriented.
- Demonstrate ability to prioritize, multi-task, and work with minimal supervision in a collaborative environment to meet project deadlines.
- Knowledge of online learning regulatory and compliance requirements, including: UDL, ADA, Section 508 compliance, FERPA, copyright, intellectual property, fair use and other applicable laws and regulations.
- Solid familiarity with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines v.2.1 (WCAG 2.1) and assistive technology integration required for ADA compliance.
- General awareness or sense for the psychological considerations of digital teaching and learning with a virtual environment.
Desired Qualifications & Experience:
- Doctoral degree and 5-years experience in higher ed., directly related to job duties.
- Demonstrated familiarity with course design and AV product design for similarly focused institutions that specialize in psychology and the humanities.
- Trained and experienced in bringing a holistic-orientation to online course design and teaching.
- Knowledge and experience working with the LMS Desire2Learn (D2L)
- Background in depth psychology or other academic field aligned with Pacifica’s academic subject areas.
This full-time position will have the opportunity for flexible work, but candidate must be located within acceptable proximity to Pacifica’s Santa Barbara-area campuses to allow for regular campus presence/engagement.
- Unofficial transcripts of college/university work (required).
- Three letters of professional recommendation
- Letter of Interest indicating philosophy of digital teaching, learning, and course design
Candidates must present on online course design/development and demonstrate effective and creative use of online tools, resources, and strategies during interview.
Job to remain open until filled. For priority consideration, application materials should be submitted by May 28, 2021.
Apply for Online Instructional Designer and Pedagogy Specialist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Carpinteria
- Academic Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Carpinteria
- Curriculum & Instructional Development Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Carpinteria
- Instructional Technology & Design (Campus) Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Carpinteria