Dean, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota
The University of Minnesota invites applications for the position of dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM). The dean reports to the Executive Vice President and Provost and is the chief executive and academic officer of the college with responsibility for ensuring excellence in education, research, outreach and service.
Additionally, the dean is responsible for all matters related to administration of the college, including academic programs, faculty, staff, students, alumni, facilities, resources, budgets, fundraising and relationships with the university and community. Further information is outlined in the position profile.
- Provides leadership for all academic matters of the college including degree programs and certificates as well as recruiting, retaining and graduating students.
- Displays a commitment to the development and maintenance of a richly diverse teaching and research environment; promotes and supports a diverse and inclusive collegiate community.
- Develops, in consultation with stakeholders, the vision, strategic direction and programs to guide the college in meeting rapid and revolutionary advances in veterinary medicine.
- Supports excellence in the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, in collaboration with state officials, to ensure appropriate diagnostic services for the animal industries of Minnesota.
- Secures adequate resources for the college through a variety of external sources; builds strong relationships with state and federal legislators and agencies as well as state and national human and animal health and veterinary medical agencies and entities.
- Oversees management of the college’s administrative and financial affairs
- Fosters interdisciplinary and collaborative approaches to research, learning and service; represents CVM on the Twin Cities Deans Council and the Health Sciences Deans Council.
- Serves as the public and academic advocate for CVM, reflecting and advancing its standing within animal and human health communities.
Attributes of the successful candidate:
- DVM degree, or a recognized equivalent (e.g., BVSC, VMD, DMV)
- A record of successful leadership in academic administration and management.
- Demonstrated ability to create, promote, and support an inclusive and collaborative collegiate community and a commitment to promoting and supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to lead and work collaboratively with diverse communities; the ability to build strong relationships with internal and external constituents, including donors and alumni.
- Proven experience or potential in successful fundraising and in developing new revenue streams.
- Proven experience in building strong relationships with state and national legislators.
- Appreciation for garnering extramural funding (e.g., NIH, USDA, NSF, CDC) and the ability to generate resources and build multidisciplinary programs in teaching, research and outreach.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the land-grant mission of the University of Minnesota and the College of Veterinary Medicine.
Applications will be reviewed on May 1, 2021; the appointment is anticipated to begin at the start of the University’s fiscal year on July 1, 2021. Application materials (consisting of a letter of application and curriculum vitae) should be submitted to the University of Minnesota’s confidential online employment system, requisition number 340083, at https://z.umn.edu/Dean_CVM.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.