Multicultural Inclusion Center Coordinator for African American/Black Students
The Multicultural Inclusion Center (MIC) at Dixie State University is seeking a skilled professional to serve as lead coordinator for African American/Black students (approximately 300-400 at present). This position directly supports and works with these students to help keep them in school and progressing towards a degree. Provide social and transitional programming and connect students to various resources across campus to help ease their transition to University life. Work collaboratively with other Student Affairs offices, as well as other partners across campus, to establish academic and co-curricular programs that are culturally and educationally enriching. Be proactive in matters of student advocacy and bias response; assist in program assessment and evaluation. Information about the MIC programs can be found online at https://mic.dixie.edu/ .
- Lead the planning, coordination, implementation, and assessment of retention programs and workshops that serve students of African American/Black descent; assist with similar programs for other underrepresented groups across campus.
- Provide direct support, guidance, and advisement to underrepresented student populations.
- Assist with the coordination of co-curricular programs, including African American/Black Heritage month, intercultural and public events, diversity dialogues, educational forums, and partnerships that promote cultural awareness and diversity education.
- Train and mentor the Access & Student Success branch of the Multicultural Student Council to serve as peer mentors and tutors; train and mentor in other retention programs as appropriate/designated.
- Provide social and transitional programming and connect students to various resources across campus to help ease their transition to University life.
- Serve as a Club Advisor for the Black Student Union, ensuring club activity within Interclub Council, mentoring student officers in leadership development, and leading in the development and implementation of student programming.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Counseling, Psychology, Sociology, Public Administration, or related field required; Master's degree preferred.
- A valid Driver's license required (position transports and/or travels with students to various activities, conferences, and events throughout the year).
- Demonstrated experience in program development of educational experiences and high impact activities and programs that enhance student retention for students of color and other historically underserved and underrepresented students.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills required; proficiency in a second language (other than English) and/or experience working with international students preferred.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to, respect for, and understanding of the academic, personal and social needs of students, particularly underrepresented and underserved populations, required; experience in community and civic engagement preferred.
- Experience in coaching and/or mentoring in an academic setting, community organizing, and other leadership roles required; experience teaching at the university level preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and social media technologies required; ability to integrate technology with student coaching and co-curricular assessment preferred.
- Knowledge of Banner, Canvas or other comprehensive higher education-related student database and data tracking/management systems, as well as demonstrated ability to work effectively with university teaching faculty and administrators, preferred.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and professionalism at all times, including understanding of FERPA and other regulations that guide interactions with students and colleagues.
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple programs concurrently.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to travel to various events and activities, as well as work some evenings and weekends, based on the associated activity schedule.
POSITION DETAILS, COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: Full-time professional staff (overtime-exempt) position. Annual salary of $41,000 - $44,000 depending on qualifications & experience. Desired start date of July 1, 2021. Excellent benefits package included that begins on start date; includes medical, dental, vision, employee assistance, and wellness programs, life, disability, retirement, undergraduate tuition waivers for employees and eligible dependents, as well as paid holidays in addition to sick and vacation leave accruals. See https://humanresources.dixie.edu/employee-benefits/ under 'Benefits Summary' for more details.
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Application review begins July 10 , 2021 ; position open until filled . Submit cover letter, resume, and contact information (including email) for three professional references electronically. If, because of a disability, you need special services or facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office at (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: Dixie State University is an open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic institution committed to exceptional student learning and success. DSU has adopted an instructional approach of 'active learning. active life' and a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. We seek faculty and staff committed to creating a student-centered active, applied, and career-oriented learning environment that is student-centered. Established in 1911 as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, DSU is located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red rocks, desert climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and featuring easy access to world-class outdoor recreational opportunities. The nearest metropolitan area is Las Vegas, NV (120 miles) with amenities such as an international airport and professional sporting teams. Click here to learn more about the University.
With more than 12,000 students, Dixie State has been a fast-growing Utah public institution of higher education for a number of years. We offer over 230 programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates, endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. DSU seeks to recruit and retain diverse and ambitious faculty and staff who bring new ideas, possess values and career aspirations aligned with the mission and vision, and are inspired to build a premier open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic university. DSU is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer; the President and employees of DSU are fully committed to Affirmative Action and within its programs and activities, including in admissions and employment, Dixie State University does not discriminate or tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state or local law.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations and/or DSU’s non-discrimination policies:
- Director of Equity Compliance / Title IX Coordinator: Hazel Sainsbury - firstname.lastname@example.org , HCC 579, 435-652-7747.
- Deputy Title IX Coordinator: Abby Del Giacco - email@example.com , 435-652-7731.
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, firstname.lastname@example.org , 800-421-3481.
- U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, email@example.com , 303-844-5695.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Affirmative Action & Equal Opportunity Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint George