Mechanical & Preventative Maintenance Worker
Under the supervision of the Director of Facilities Operations & Energy and under the direction of the Preventative Maintenance Lead, this position performs mechanical and preventative maintenance on mechanical equipment on campus. Additional information about the department can be found online at https://campus.dixie.edu/ .
- Perform preventative maintenance on all university mechanical equipment.
- Responsible for housekeeping duties and maintenance on heating plant, mechanical rooms, tunnels, and storage areas painted to the university’s color code system.
- Perform water testing on cooling towers, closed loop heating systems HTHW & LTHW and chilled water systems. Performs and handling and monitoring of chemicals and safety.
- Maintain logs and records of all mechanical operations, equipment and duties.
- Act as a backup in monitoring fire alarm computer systems. Respond to fire alarms, reset panels, and clean smoke heads as necessary.
- Assist other facilities operations staff (heat plant, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, etc.) as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent GED, as well as vocational or technical training in mechanical systems maintenance, required. Some college coursework or vocational certificate/degree preferred.
- Three years’ related mechanical and/or preventative maintenance experience required.
- Good knowledge of practices, procedures, work methods, and equipment used in preventative maintenance and repair, such as roto-rooter, drill, torch, meters, gauges, pumps, air handlers, motors, air compressors, chillers, and boilers.
- Proficient skills in plumbing, painting, HVAC and mechanical work.
- Strong knowledge of all code compliance laws, rules and regulations such as MSDS, CFCs, backflows, PCBs, asbestos, confided space entry, etc.
- Ability to communicate effectively and exercise basic human relations skills in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with students, employees, and the public.
- Previous supervisory skills, with an ability to train part-time and other employees on job results and safety, preferred.
POSITION DETAILS, COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: Full-time classified staff (overtime-eligible) position. Annual salary of $40,000, with a desired start date of July 1, 2021. Excellent benefits package included that begins on start date; includes medical, dental, vision, employee assistance and wellness programs, life, disability, retirement, undergraduate tuition waivers for employees and eligible dependents, as well as paid holidays in addition to sick and vacation leave accruals. See https://humanresources.dixie.edu/employee-benefits/ under "Benefits Summary" for more details.
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Application review begins May 17 , 2021 . Submit cover letter, resume, and contact information (including email) for three professional references electronically. If, because of a disability, you need special services or facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office at (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: Dixie State University (DSU) is an open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic institution committed to exceptional student learning and success. DSU has adopted an instructional approach of "active learning. active life" and a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. We seek faculty and staff committed to creating a student-centered active, applied and career-oriented learning environment that is student-centered. Established in 1911 as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, DSU is located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red rocks, desert climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and featuring easy access to world-class outdoor recreational opportunities. The nearest metropolitan area is Las Vegas, NV (120 miles), with amenities such as an international airport and professional sporting teams. Click here to learn more about the University.
Dixie State University is a fast-growing Utah public institution of higher education, with more than 12,000 students. We offer over 230 programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates, endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. DSU seeks to recruit and retain diverse and ambitious faculty and staff who bring new ideas, possess values and career aspirations aligned with the mission and vision, and are inspired to build a premier open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic university. DSU is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer; the President and employees of DSU are fully committed to Affirmative Action and within its programs and activities, including in admissions and employment, Dixie State University does not discriminate or tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state or local law.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations and/or DSU’s non-discrimination policies:
- Director of Equity Compliance / Title IX Coordinator: Hazel Sainsbury - email@example.com , HCC 579, 435-652-7747.
- Deputy Title IX Coordinator: Abby Del Giacco - firstname.lastname@example.org , 435-652-7731.
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, email@example.com , 800-421-3481.
- U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, firstname.lastname@example.org , 303-844-5695.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.