Campus Police Officer
A full-time Campus Police Officer works with a group of officers, and under the direction of the Deputy Chief of Police / Assistant Director of Public Safety, to ensure the safety and protection of persons and property at Dixie State University (DSU). The DSU Department of Public Safety is an accredited state police agency whose goal is to prevent crime and to provide emergency services of all types. Additional information about the department can be found online at https://publicsafety.dixie.edu/ .
- Ensure the safety and protection of persons and property by conducting foot patrol, vehicle patrols, building security checks, and special event coverage.
- Duties include public safety, crime prevention, and general law enforcement.
- Respond to 911 and emergency calls, conduct investigations, parking enforcement, court appearances, and write reports as necessary.
- Enforce University Policies and Procedures, campus rules, St. George City ordinances, and Utah State laws, as applicable.
- Make arrests and testify in court as necessary.
- Provide VIP and special-assignment security.
- Work with other federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies.
- Maintain Utah POST Certification requirements.
- Pass the Department annual physical agility assessment, bi-annual firearms qualifications and department in service training.
- Shift schedule may vary depending on campus needs (day, swing, evening).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma/GED required; two years of college education or equivalent technical training preferred.
- Must be at least 21 years of age by date of hire.
- Current Category I & II (LEO) Utah POST Certification required.
- Good judgment, quick responses, physical agility, and good driving skills required.
- Ability to work in a stressful environment, such as crowd control situations, accident scenes, etc. and in various conditions such as temperature and weather extremes.
- Ability to take and receive orders and criticism, and to work long hours under emergency situations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, University employees, and the public.
- Pass a psychological evaluation and background check.
POSITION DETAILS, COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: Full-time classified staff (overtime-eligible) position. Annual salary of $42,000+ depending on qualifications, experience, and FTO completion. Desired start date of July 1, 2021. Excellent benefits package included that begins on start date; includes medical, dental, vision, employee assistance and wellness programs, life, disability, retirement, undergraduate tuition waivers for employees and eligible dependents, as well as paid holidays in addition to sick and vacation leave accruals. See https://humanresources.dixie.edu/employee-benefits/ under "Benefits Summary" for more details.
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Application review begins May 10 , 2021 . Submit cover letter, resume, and contact information (including email) for three professional references electronically. If, because of a disability, you need special services or facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office at (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: Dixie State University (DSU) is an open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic institution committed to exceptional student learning and success. DSU has adopted an instructional approach of "active learning. active life" and a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. We seek faculty and staff committed to creating a student-centered active, applied and career-oriented learning environment that is student-centered. Established in 1911 as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, DSU is located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red rocks, desert climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and featuring easy access to world-class outdoor recreational opportunities. The nearest metropolitan area is Las Vegas, NV (120 miles), with amenities such as an international airport and professional sporting teams. Click here to learn more about the University.
Dixie State University is a fast-growing Utah public institution of higher education, with more than 12,000 students. We offer over 230 programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates, endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. DSU seeks to recruit and retain diverse and ambitious faculty and staff who bring new ideas, possess values and career aspirations aligned with the mission and vision, and are inspired to build a premier open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic university. DSU is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer; the President and employees of DSU are fully committed to Affirmative Action and within its programs and activities, including in admissions and employment, Dixie State University does not discriminate or tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state or local law.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations and/or DSU’s non-discrimination policies:
- Director of Equity Compliance / Title IX Coordinator: Hazel Sainsbury - email@example.com , HCC 579, 435-652-7747.
- Deputy Title IX Coordinator: Abby Del Giacco - firstname.lastname@example.org , 435-652-7731.
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, email@example.com , 800-421-3481.
- U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, firstname.lastname@example.org , 303-844-5695.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.