Academic Coaches serve as academic mentors, coaches, advisors, and ultimately are champions focused on the success of their students. Academic Coaches partner with students throughout the life of their academic program. They do not teach courses or competencies; rather they serve as students’ primary source of support to ensure each student is making meaningful progress in their program. Academic Coaches work weekly with their assigned students in overcoming learning obstacles and understanding program expectations. They partner closely with Faculty in the academic program to ensure each and every student is receiving the support and academic engagement required for success. Coaches reflect commitment to their students’ success in their daily work and maintain a deep personal interest and involvement in their students’ academic progress.ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Providing direct, comprehensive program guidance to assigned students (average 100-120 students).
- Support students in their educational planning and progress from enrollment to graduation.
- Managing students' academic progress according to university policies.
- Helping to ensure students are frequently engaging with Faculty in any area where they require deeper academic support.
- Maintaining appropriate documentation of all academic engagements.
- Maintaining regular communication with students according to university protocol.
- Serve as an expert in their students' academic program details and are able to answer or to obtain answers to all the questions students may have about their programs.
- Advise students on time management and schedule benchmarks for the student to successfully master program concepts, knowledge and skills.
- Help students identify their learning strengths and weaknesses and connect them with the necessary university resources to aid in success.
- Evaluate student learning styles, skills, deficiencies and goals; identify appropriate learning resources for them to use; and facilitate their use of those resources.
- Evaluate student learning engagement and assessment readiness.
- Monitor student academic progress, communicating with each student weekly and intervene as necessary to assist those students having difficulty.
- Assist students in career planning within the boundaries of his or her expertise, and direct students to planning resources in other areas as appropriate.
- Coach students on University policies and procedures, program requirements and related academic matters.
- Work closely with Faculty to ensure that student inquiries are strategically coordinated and addressed in a timely manner, while supporting academic integrity and university policies.
- Cognitively guide students to develop accountability for their decisions and an understanding of how those decisions impact their success.
- Provide students with proactive guidance on acclimating to their new undergraduate or graduate lifestyle and building supportive personal environments and best practices to facilitate their student success.
- Empower students to maintain effective connections to the University and its online community of learners.
- Masters Degree required
- Minimum 2-3 years’ experience working in a service-oriented environment, teaching or university setting
- Must have a strong commitment to education and have the counseling or coaching skills required to effectively keep Competency Based Education (CBE) students on track
- Strong customer service orientation and excellent communication skills
- Strong problem solving and time management skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
- Ability to successfully resolve student issues from request through resolution.
- Effectively work with multiple databases and student platforms
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with integrated technology systems and tools
- Skilled at connecting and building rapport with students from diverse backgrounds
- Creative & innovative, able to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to adapt to new and rapidly changing situations.
- Familiarity with online learning and Internet technology a plus
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:May perform other duties and responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
TECHNICAL, MANAGERIAL, and PEOPLE SKILLS REQUIRED
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Incumbents will be evaluated, in part, based on performance of each essential function. Appropriate reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Columbia
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Columbia
- Distance Education Programs Not specified Full Time jobs in Columbia
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Columbia
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Columbia