Administrative Director, CFLLC
Williams College is seeking a dynamic, creative individual for the position of Administrative Director of the Center for Foreign Languages, Literatures, and Cultures. The CFLLC is the sum of its departments: Arabic Studies, Asian Studies, Classics, Comparative Literature, German and Russian, and Romance Languages. Its mission is to promote the study of the world’s languages and cultures, encourage intellectual enrichment beyond disciplinary boundaries, and offer opportunities for cultural discovery both at home and abroad.
In addition to facilitating and enhancing the academic work of the language and culture units, for example through the administration of the Teaching Associate/Language Fellow and Critical Languages programs, the Center organizes faculty seminars, public lectures, exhibitions, performances, and film series that highlight global cultures and focus on issues with an international scope. The Director helps to recognize links among the language units, and also between the languages and the rest of the College.
The successful candidate will bring a personal, team-oriented approach to the work, will be prepared to take initiative in generating ideas, and will be able to absorb and synthesize the ideas of others.
- Administering the Teaching Associate and Language Fellow program. This includes working with departments to recruit TAs and LFs; building relationships with institutions that provide TAs and LFs; overseeing visas, travel arrangements, and accommodations; organizing orientation programs and facilitating other TA/LF program activities
- Organizing tutors and evaluators to support independent study within the Critical Languages program; arranging participation and compensation for tutors and evaluators from within and outside of the Williams community
- Event planning for regular CFLLC activities, including beginning- and end-of-year receptions, faculty research colloquia, and receptions for graduating seniors with majors or certificates in the languages, etc.
- Supporting ideation, creation, implementation and promotion of special programming, including exhibitions, film series, conferences, performances, lecture series, and more
- Managing a budget that includes four main accounts, two funds for pan-language events, and funds for student travel.
- Engaging in partnerships with other units and offices at WIlliams College as well as establishing and maintaining links to internationally-focused work at other institutions
- Supervising administrative staff and orienting new faculty / visiting professors to the workings of CFLLC
- Bachelor’s degree required, plus at least five years’ experience in administration, management, and / or academic programming is required; or equivalent combination of experience and education. Master’s degree preferred.
- Cross-cultural competency is essential; experience with international affairs, foreign languages, or working abroad would be beneficial
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, a highly collaborative approach to day-to-day work and exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Leadership experience desirable
Review of applications will begin on May 4, 2021 and continue until the position is filled. Pay starts in the low $70,000’s for a 10-month regular assignment, commensurate with experience. Job grade 2-E. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via phone at (413) 597-2681 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conditions of Employment
Employment at Williams is contingent on the verification of background information submitted by the applicant, including the completion of a criminal record check, and education when applicable.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Beyond meeting fully its legal obligations for non-discrimination, Williams College is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community where members from all backgrounds can live, learn and thrive.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Williamstown
- Humanities Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Williamstown
- Ethnic & Multicultural Studies Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Williamstown
- Foreign Languages & Literatures Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Williamstown
- Other Humanities Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Williamstown