Director of Project Outreach
University Code 33244 University Title Senior Scientist 1 University Job Family Research & Innovation ORP Eligible Yes For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Job Series Scope of Search Local Working Title Director of Project Outreach Position Number 592320 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? No Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Dean's Office Engineering Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
Since its inception in 1996, the Virginia Commonwealth University College of Engineering has brought innovative, real-world engineering education to Central Virginia. Comprised of five different departments plus the Dean’s office, the College of Engineering enrolls more than 1,700 undergraduate and 250 graduate students in several degree programs supported by approximately 600 full-time, part-time, and student employees. As part of a premier research university known for tenacity, love of the city, and commitment to diversity and access, the College of Engineering values the significant and positive impact of our people and ideas in the promotion of regional and global prosperity involving research and life sciences.
The College of Engineering invites candidates to apply for the position of Director of Project Outreach for the purpose of supporting engineering student experiential learning in translational development processes through focus on project/product solutions to unmet industrial and clinical needs.
- Oversight for development of the College of Engineering Capstone Engineering Design programs for support of student education.
- Generation of “outside” project topics from industry, nonprofits, government and health care, and other sources
- Generation of “outside” funding for the Capstone Engineering Design program including sources, but not limited to industry, medical departments, medical clinics, non- profits and hospitals and grants for governments and foundations.
- Works with the College of Engineering Foundation and Career Services further the development of corporate and industry relations for the benefit of student education.
- Incorporate College of Engineering project activities with the resources of the VCU Innovation Gateway in promoting faculty and student involvement in innovation and pathways to development of technology and projects toward commercialization.
- Be the PI for at least one VIP student team.
Minimum Hiring Standards
- Master’s degree in science or engineering discipline or equivalent combination of professional experience and education is required.
- Five (5) plus year’s-experience in industry research or engineering and product development. Sales / commercial development experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of U.S. and international intellectual property laws and processes.
- Knowledge and experience with industry development agreements and material transfer agreements and other development related legal documents.
- The College of Engineering supports a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment. The candidate will demonstrate experience that shows their commitment to fostering such an environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with senior industry executives, engineers, students, university faculty, administrative personnel.
- Computer skills such as MS Office suite programs
- Ability to travel by auto, train and air.
Preferred Hiring Standards
- Ph.D. degree is preferred
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range Commensurate Application Process/Additional Information Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40 hrs/wk Normal Work Days/Hours Monday-Friday/8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Job Open Date 04/16/2021 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Research Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/105270 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Explain your experience working with students and
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a Master’s and/or PhD degree in science or
- Yes; master’s
- Yes; Ph.D.
- * Please describe your experience with the Capstone Design
Program at VCU or similar undergraduate programs.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please discuss your background with the product development
process and/or principles of design:
(Open Ended Question)
- * How many years of experience do you have working with grants
and external funds?
- 1-3 years
- 3-5 years
- 5+ years
- * Are you familiar with and do you have experience with
intellectual property management?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Biotechnology & Bioengineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Engineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond