JOB SUMMARY (OVERVIEW)
The Rhode Island School of Design Facilities department is actively seeking a Groundskeeper to join their Custodial & Grounds team. Facilities supports RISD’s mission by maintaining a safe and sustainable campus through planning, construction services, building operations, careful management of resources, and respectful personal interaction with the entire RISD community. Groundskeepers perform all duties pertaining to the upkeep, maintenance, and beautification of all campus grounds, walkways, parking lots, etc.
As an employer, RISD offers a supportive, collegial, and inclusive work environment, and a competitive benefits package.
- Collect and sort recycled materials on daily basis.
- Perform heavy rigging and inter‑building moving and assist the custodial and maintenance departments as required. Repair sidewalks and perform small masonry jobs.
- Cut grass, repair damaged lawns, prune trees and hedges, operate motorized lawn and garden equipment, and perform routine cleaning and maintenance.
- Layout and tend to flower beds and other decorative vegetation.
- Operate sandblaster and use chemicals to remove graffiti throughout the campus.
- Remove snow and ice from walks and driveways. Operate motorized snow removal equipment.
- Drive RISD vehicle to transport materials and staff to the job site(s), possibly outside normal business hours.
- High school or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- One to three years’ groundskeeping experience.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid DOT medical card within 90 days of hire required.
- Demonstrated ability and desire to work effectively with ethnically and culturally diverse communities
40 hours per week/12 months per year. Specific schedule will be discussed with candidates at time of interview.
Full-Time; Non-Exempt; Regular
Documents Needed to Apply:
Cover letter (optional)
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please upload all required documents.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our pre-employment background screening requirements.
For certain positions, RISD is currently supporting remote work arrangements due to the pandemic. When work resumes in person, employees are expected to perform work on campus.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its learning community and integral to an art and design education. We welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
For internal use only - Job Family:
Facilities - Grounds