Budget and Events Coordinator, Office of the Registrar
The Registrar’s Office invites applications for a Program Manager. The person assigned to this position provides both financial guidance, oversight of the Montana University System Residency processing, and is responsible for the organization, operation, and coordination of events in support of the Registrar’s Office. Events include Academic Convocation, Fall Commencement, and Spring Commencement. The person in this position may be asked to assist with other university-wide events as needed. Overall organization and support for these events is performed in conjunction with the President’s and Provost’s Offices.
This position is responsible for planning, analyzing, and monitoring the Office of the Registrar budget, a large portion of which is affiliated with events, particularly Commencement ceremonies. The position manages accounts payable, pro-card, travel paperwork, GrizMart, requisitions for contracted service agreements and supplies, and special projects. This position may provide a variety of administrative support to Registrar’s Office team members, and may also assist with website content updates and maintenance.
This position requires incumbent to develop a working knowledge of the University of Montana computer systems and programs including UMDW, GrizMart, U-Approve, Coursedog room scheduling software, Application Xtender Document Manager, DegreeWorks, Banner SIS; and develop working understanding of relevant vendor databases and websites.
Specific duties include (but are not limited to):
Event Coordination and Planning
- Coordination with university departments involved in each event; President’s Office, Academic Affairs, UM Police Department, Catering, Residence Life, Facilities Services, Disability Services for Students, Non-university vendors, etc.
- Tracking the budget items through our systems; produce reports from event databases
- Respond to requests and overseeing the setup of the events
- Producing/organizing event supplies, flyers, programs, posters, and signage, as well as publication of the commencement bulletin
- Work with University Relations on news releases related to Convocation and Commencement
- Create invitation lists and registration processes; track RSVPs and name card production
- Execute various event needs for the ceremonies
- Assign duties and task to office staff, and execute various event needs for the ceremonies
- Problem-solve and resolve issues related to event scheduling in academic space, including room and schedule conflicts, resolving conflicting information in Banner and Coursedog.
- Place orders and maintaining positive relationships with internal and external vendors
- Coordinate event programming and speakers; coordinate VIP guests and high-level events in collaboration with the President’s and Provost’s offices
- Conduct post-assessment of event effectiveness and implementing improvement plans for future events.
Budget Coordination and Planning & Office Administration
- Develop a working knowledge of the University of Montana financial systems; develop a working knowledge needed to make financial decisions based upon knowledge of funding requirements and financial information obtained from the University of Montana financial systems
- Manage data entry, payroll processing, invoicing, creation of detailed financial reports and monthly and yearly reconciliation of State and designated funds.
- Build budgets including providing spending reports; advise and consult with the Registrar on spending activity
- Manage contracts (e.g. Xerox, shredding), PO numbers, and process invoices from outside contractors.
- Management of all Registrar’s Office Procard purchases, including monthly redistributions
- Manage and prepare Registrar’s Office deposits
- Process of JV transfers; as well as the management and purchasing of office supplies
- Preparation of HR paperwork for new and departing employees
- Preparation of travel paperwork for current employees
- This position serves as the primary point of contact for student inquiries regarding Montana residency reclassification
- Compile and evaluate residency petitions, applying BoR Policy 940.1 on resident tuition
- Serve on the residency petition committee as secretary, including calling meetings, setting agendas, and communicating with applicants.
- Serve as liaison with Admissions, the Office of the President, and the Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education (OCHE) regarding residency policies
- Update the website residency information with current information
- Educate and train campus constituents regarding residency policy updates and changes
- Update Banner with residency changes
- Ability to provide exemplary customer service; and resolve issues as they arise by providing direction and guidance to administrators, students, and faculty/staff members.
- Demonstrated knowledge of professional budget management practices and accounting principles.
- Ability to collaborate with other offices and academic departments to finalize deadlines and other important dates.
- Ability to facilitate and manage working relationships with deans, administrative assistants, departments, faculty, staff and students.
- Ability to provide service with effective interpersonal, public relations, and communication skills, including the ability to work with a diverse population.
- Experience applying professional budget management practices and procedures and accounting principles.
- Strong organizational, time management, and multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to quickly develop a working knowledge of the campus community and various office responsibilities in order to answer or properly refer questions.
- Demonstrated skill in project management, including event planning and meeting deadlines.
- Thorough knowledge of basic concepts, principles, and procedures of building and maintaining effective relations with internal and external constituencies.
- Ability to develop proficiency and understanding of the capabilities of software associated with event management including scheduling and room diagramming
- Effective written, verbal and interpersonal communications, to effectively represent the campus.
- Ability to occasionally work irregular hours to produce special events.
- Ability to handle confidentiality of student records, including knowledge of FERPA and Montana Privacy Law regulations and application of those regulations.
- Ability to learn, understand and apply UM and MUS policies, guidelines, and procedures.
- Ability to share job knowledge with RO members and members of the campus community.
- Ability to quickly learn function-specific software packages and tools.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel and integrated databases
Minimum Required Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, as well as at least three (3) years of related work experience; or any combination of experience and education that would provide the competencies required to successfully discharge the duties assigned to this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field
- Experience working in higher education
- Two (2) years event planning experience
- Knowledge of the University of Montana, its mission, goals, objectives, programs, achievements, infrastructure and issues of concern.
About the Office of the Registrar , UM , and Missoula
The Registrar’s Office is a central component of the academic mission of University of Montana, providing formal validation of teaching and learning on this campus. The Registrar is the official custodian of student academic records, and the office is legally required to maintain past, present, and future unabridged academic records. The Registrar’s staff plans and conducts student registration, maintains and updates academic records, interprets and applies academic policies, certifies eligibility for associate and baccalaureate degrees, determines resident fee classification for tuition purposes, schedules all academic classes and classroom facilities, maintains, processes, and provides support for academic grading and advising, verifies enrollment and degrees awarded, plans and directs commencement ceremonies, and determines eligibility for student participation in athletics, extracurricular and honor society activities. The Registrar’s Office establishes a singularly unique relationship with students over the passage of an academic career. Beginning with new student orientation, interactions continue with continuing & returning students during enrollments and graduation, and those relationships reinforce a reliable connection and resource for alumni who request official verification of academic records, degree(s) earned, and/or transcripts.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- The State of Montana
Position Title: Budget and Event Coordinator
Position Number: NEW
Department: Office of the Registrar
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year.
Salary: $18.35/hr –Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and will minimally be this posted salary. For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department .
Union Affiliation: None
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Monday, May 10, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Need additional help? Check out our UM Jobs FAQ website.
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular