Posting Number: SRGV5021
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Weslaco, Texas
Department: RCV College of Business and Entrepreneurship / Center for Innovation Commercial
Scope of Job:
Responsible for coordinating communication plans for the division or large department in order to support communication and special project needs using various media, such as digital, print, social media, electronic communications, and campus engagement events. Responsible for assisting with the development and dissemination of content promoting the division/department and its mission, programs, activities, and events; and maintaining the online presence of the division/department. Responsible for communicating and maintaining effective relationships with external stakeholders.
Description of Duties:
• Coordinates communications for projects and service rollouts that support university and divisional goals and objectives that impact the university community while conforming to the identity standards established by the university.
• Maintains and grows the online presence of the division/department through the use of web techniques and websites, social media, and other networking platforms that conform to the identity and technical standards established by the university.
• Assists in creating visual and written content promoting the activities, events, programming, and mission of the division/department, collaborating with University Marketing Communications as appropriate.
• Provides information to University Marketing Communications staff to be utilized in releases submitted to area media.
• Responsible for coordinating the actions for the communication and ensuring all communication activities are executed within UTRGV guidelines, copyright and privacy laws, and supporting the overall communication strategy of the organization.
• Plans, supervises, and schedules the work of assigned staff by determining work priorities, evaluating work progress, and ensures deadlines are met.
• Coordinates dissemination of division and departmental information and key messages.
• Ensures standards and style guides for outgoing print and digital media as established through UTRGV’s University Marketing and Communications department are maintained.
• Reviews, evaluates, and approves graphics, text, and layout of work for flyers, posters, brochures, newsletters, newspaper and other types of communications for effective messaging, which includes tailoring communication for audiences outside the department, while ensuring final approval through University Marketing and Communications has been obtained.
• Leads planning and development of strategic communications plans to effectively reach and engage audiences by combining broadcast and engagement communication methods, including identification of audience, tools, and communication channels.
• Assists in the development and use of communication operating and budgeting process.
• Leads the development of multi-year communication planning process, including recommendation of goals in coordination with the UTRGV and department guidelines.
• Develops and directs appropriate outcome-based metrics to evaluate effectiveness of programs and reports.
• Coordinates with other campus communication professionals such as marketing managers, photographers, graphic designers, printing specialists, and training specialists to understand local opportunities and challenges in reaching target audiences with key messages to empower and improve end-user skills and knowledge.
• Staff assigned to a department other than University Marketing and Communications will offer services in alignment with the centralized department.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
Direct supervision of assigned staff.
Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations or a related field from an accredited University.
Three (3) years experience in journalism, web design, public relations or related field.
Experience with word processing, PowerPoint and desktop publishing software.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment. May be required to work evenings and/or weekends. Occasional travel will be required. UTRGV is a distributed institution, which requires presence at multiple locations throughout the Rio Grande Valley. Work is performed primarily in a general office environment across the Rio Grande Valley.
Ability to deal with sensitive information in a confidential manner. Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others. Strong organizational skills.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 04/20/2021
Grant Funded Position: Yes
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date: 12/31/2023
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please visit our Careers site at https://careers.utrgv.edu for detailed contact information.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/28096