Reporting to Duke’s Provost, the Vinik Dean of the Pratt School of Engineering is the academic, administrative, and community leader of the School and an important member of the University’s leadership team. Duke is embarking on a search for a talented and qualified leader to serve as the School’s next Dean.
Duke’s Pratt School of Engineering is a vibrant teaching and research institution dedicated to training the next generation of leaders and pursuing research in high-impact fields to explore the frontiers of engineering and develop solutions to the world’s greatest challenges. Pratt ranks among the top 15 U.S. engineering schools in research productivity (Academic Analytics) and is ninth among the top 25 U.S. graduate engineering schools in research funding per faculty member (U.S. News & World Report). External research funding has doubled over the last decade, reaching nearly $100 million in new awards in FY20. Major externally funded research centers focus on quantum computing; water, sanitation, and hygiene; materials genomics; metamaterials; photonics; secure communications protocols; and biomolecular and tissue engineering. Pratt benefits from extensive collaborations with researchers in each of Duke's graduate and professional schools—especially the highly regarded Duke University School of Medicine—and numerous ties with Duke Kunshan University, a world-class liberal arts and sciences university in Jiangsu province, China.
The next leader of the School will be a respected leader with a track record of strong scholarship, an energetic and conscientious administrator broadly familiar with issues in higher education, a strong advocate for teaching and research missions, and a preeminent University citizen. Candidates with diverse academic backgrounds will be considered, although ideal candidates will have demonstrated experience and success in the following areas:
- Serving in an administrative role in a university setting (e.g., institute director, department chair, associate dean, vice provost).
- Leading research, teaching, and service missions, with enthusiasm and appreciation for both undergraduate and graduate students.
- Recruiting accomplished, high-potential, diverse faculty.
- Developing financial support for research.
- Establishing and enhancing ties with other schools and institutions, including academic health care enterprises, in the U.S. and internationally.
- Achievement in research and scholarship, meeting the requirements for obtaining tenure at the full professor level at Duke University.
Duke University has retained Spencer Stuart to assist in this recruitment. To nominate an individual, express personal interest in the position, or communicate comments, questions, or suggestions to the search committee, please feel free to use the confidential search mailbox email@example.com. A complete position description will be sent on request or can be found at https://provost.duke.edu/about/executive-searches.
Apply for Dean
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Durham
- Education Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Durham
- Education Administration & Leadership Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Durham
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Durham
- Engineering Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Durham