Coordinator of Residence Life
Coordinator of Residence Life
Founded in 1869, Chatham University has an enrollment of over 2,200 students across over 60 undergraduate and graduate programs in our areas of excellence: sustainability & health, the arts & sciences and business & communications. Chatham has consistently been named a College of Distinction and a "Best College" by U.S. News & World Report, and--as the alma mater of environmental icon, Rachel Carson (Class of '29)'is perennially ranked as one of the greenest colleges in the United States by Sierra Magazine and the Princeton Review.
Chatham's mission is: "to prepare students to build lives of purpose, value and fulfilling work...by preparing graduates to be informed and engaged citizens in their communities; to recognize and respect diversity of culture, identity, and opinion; and to live sustainably." Building on this mission, Chatham is committed to creating a supportive and inclusive learning, living and working environment for all members of the campus community.
Chatham consists of the School of Health Sciences; the Falk School of Sustainability & Environment; the School of Arts, Science and Business; and the School for Continuing & Professional Studies.
Located in Pittsburgh, PA--one of the country's most livable cities and great college towns--Chatham is spread across three distinct locations: the historic arboretum, Shadyside Campus; Chatham Eastside in the fast-growing East End; and Eden Hall Campus, one of the world's most sustainable campuses.
Chatham University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity. Women, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of other underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. Chatham University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, or national origin.
To help support the work of the University, we have an immediate opening for a Coordinator of Residence Life.
Position Reports to: Director of Residence Life
Position Summary: The Coordinator of Residence Life position is a 12-month, live-on position responsible for supporting the mission of Chatham University and the Division of Student Affairs. The Coordinator provides management and leadership for housing operations and assignments for both undergraduate and graduate students, coordinates quarantine housing and temporary housing placements, oversees the Graduate Resident Director and Desk Attendant programs, and assists with the management and maintenance of the StarRez housing system.
The Coordinator should be a high energy, positive role model who is committed to building a diverse array of programs and initiatives that encourage and promote student learning, success, and retention in a student-centered environment that addresses the specific needs of residential students. This position serves in the on-call duty rotation and involves high student contact, which includes frequent evening and weekend hours.
- Master's degree in higher education administration or related field with minimum of 2-years of professional work experience in residence life, student development and/or campus activities.
- Experience working with a diverse student population.
- Comprehensive understanding, appreciation and support of student life at a small, private institution and a commitment to improving the lives of students.
- A demonstrated commitment to equity, antiracism, and the ability to foster inclusive communities.
- Possess impeccable judgement, tolerance for ambiguity in diverse situations and commitment to the student affairs profession.
- Ability to embrace and support a culture of collegiality, diversity, equity and inclusion, and demonstrated understanding of and strong commitment to customer service and a student-centered experience.
- Substantial experience working successfully with departments within student affairs and the campus at large to provide activities, programs and services for undergraduate and graduate students.
- Have acquired knowledge, experiences and involvement in student development, program/project management, counseling students, and conversing with parents.
- Excellent organizational, oral, written, and online communication skills.
- Sound judgement and ability to resolve student issues and crisis situations effectively.
- Ability to multitask, meet established deadlines and demonstrate initiative and flexibility.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with special sensitivity to the needs of a diverse student population.
- Familiarity with housing software systems, preferably StarRez.
Duties and Responsibilities :
- Participate as a committed team member of the Division of Student Affairs in university and division committee work, projects, and overall community development.
- Provide oversight and direction for the Graduate Resident Director employment program.
- Supervise, select, mentor and train Graduate Resident Directors, Resident Assistants and Desk Attendants.
- Manage housing operations on the Shadyside Campus, which includes coordinating new student room assignments, returning student room selection, quarantine housing, room changes, occupancy reports, student housing rosters, residence hall closing processes, damage inspections and billing.
- Serves as an Assistant System Administrator for StarRez and assists the Director with the management, oversight, upkeep, and training for StarRez and associated systems.
- Manage and monitor the Residence Life work order system to ensure work orders submitted to Facilities are addressed within a timely manner and follow-up with Facilities staff and the Director of Residence Life for updates.
- Interface with Student Accounts and Information Technology Services to ensure student housing charges are successfully processed and applied.
- Provide management and oversight for the Lower Campus apartments on the Shadyside Campus.
- Develop and coordinate a graduate housing marketing plan that includes housing options both on and off-campus and interface with Graduate Admissions to market and distribute this information to incoming graduate students.
- Provide oversight and direction for the Desk Attendant student employment program.
- Engage in residence life policy research and development and provide recommendations to the Director based on student needs and current trends in higher education.
- Manage the Residence Life main desk, which includes providing supervision to the Residence Life front office staff.
- Serve as the primary point of contact with outside vendors for MicroFridges and Linens, which includes providing them student information and coordinating pick-up and delivery.
- Manage the Residence Life intranet page, website, social media presence, and marketing materials.
- Assist with the coordination of residential satisfaction surveys and assessment projects.
- Coordinate scheduling of fire drills and health and safety checks in the residence halls.
- Serve as a Student Success Coach for students in their first and second year by advising and supporting student development using a holistic approach.
- Teach one credit SDE 101 course (approximately 20-22 students per class).
- Utilize the MyChatham Plan to work with students one-on-one to create a success plan tailored to their needs, goals and interest.
- Maintain current knowledge of university processes and build relationships with relevant university personnel to identify and recommend appropriate services and faculty/staff to students, designed to address student needs and to assist students with interpreting and navigating university systems.
- Review student retention dashboard regularly (minimally twice per semester) to identify academic, financial and personal milestones and follow-up as necessary to ensure completion of those milestones (approximate number of students assigned: 1st Year-up to 30 students; 2nd Year onwards: up to 60 students).
- Assist the Director of Residence Life in all aspects of the management of residence life.
- Assist with the implementation of departmental, division, and University programs and initiates as needed (i.e. new student orientation, convocation, graduation, etc.).
- Serve in the on-call duty rotation and provide crisis response.
- Assist with residence life and student affairs professional and student staff recruitment, selection, and training.
- Participate in department and division decision making and planning and serve on University and departmental committees and work group as assigned.
- Perform other duties and special projects as requested and assigned by the Director of Residence Life, Assistant Dean of Students, and/or Dean of Students.
Chatham University offers competitive salary, an excellent benefits package, including tuition remission for qualified personnel, and a generous retirement plan.
Interested candidates should visit www.chatham.edu/careers and follow the instructions to complete the application process. To ensure full consideration, please submit a cover letter addressing the qualifications of the position, resume, and contact information for three professional references.
Chatham University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Actively Seeks Diverse Candidates
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Pittsburgh
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Pittsburgh
- Chief Student Affairs Officers & Vice Presidents Not specified Full Time jobs in Pittsburgh
- Minority & Multicultural Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Pittsburgh
- Other Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Pittsburgh