Associate Director of Graphic Design - Football
The department of Athletics at West Virginia University is seeking applications for an Associate Director of Graphic Design for WVU Football. This position is responsible for coordinating digital and printing projects for the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics football program, with a primary emphasis on recruiting material and social media specific design that is used to project a positive image of the University, athletic program and WVU Football.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Create graphics and develop conceptual idea/design for various visual materials for promotional and marketing purposes, such as brochures, posters, flyers, web pages, and media. Provide professional services to produce materials integrated across a variety of media including print, photography, video, web and multimedia.
- Coordinate the design of various items for the promotion of the football program, including, but not limited to, recruiting correspondence, signage, logos, sales presentations, brochures, flyers and forms.
- Build the WVU Football brand through the coordination and execution of external/social media.
- Provide high quality content for the University’s official athletic web site(s) and social media site(s) serving fans, students, student-athletes, coaches, sponsors and media to enhance the WVU Football brand. Will work in collaboration with WVU Athletics digital media team.
- Work closely with photographers, videographers, designers, illustrators and web content developers to produce images from promotional material, web, video and multimedia.
- Collaborate with Associate Director of Recruiting Strategy and Associate Diredctor of Creative Video on social media and graphic content.
- Ensure that graphic designs comply with University, Conference and Department communications standards reflecting the image and mission of the institution. Train others as to established standards.
- Perform other job-related assignments as assigned by the Associate Athletic Director for Football External Affairs.
- Report directly to the Associate Athletic Director for Football External Affairs; must also work closely with all others involved with carrying out the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletic program.
- Maintain knowledge of and comply with all rules, regulations, policies and guidelines of West Virginia University, the Big 12 Conference and the NCAA; must adhere to NCAA Bylaw 11.1 Conduct of Athletic Personnel. Failure to adhere to these policies will result in appropriate disciplinary action including possible suspension and termination.
- Represent the University on the highest professional level with dignity, integrity, and strength of character and will exhibit ethical behavior; must respect the rights and dignity of individuals with sensitivity to problems that may arise from racial, ethnical and sexual orientation differences.
- Demonstrate a cooperative attitude towards all sports within the intercollegiate athletic program.
- Possess the ability to adapt to any situation, make decisions and work independently; position must have the ability to build and maintain relationships with student-athletes, coaches, staff members and contractors; required to use creative abilities to develop new techniques and approaches in dealing with many issues controlled by this position; responsibilities of the position are ever-changing and require constant research and education; requires the ability to adapt to any situation and make decisions.
- Manage sensitive and confidential information related to student-athletes, coaches and staff utilizing discretion and correct decisions. Failure to use proper discretion at required level could result in major and significant embarrassment to the University and/or have a significant impact on image, revenues and eligibility of student-athletes.
- Manage professional and personal time to handle time sensitive-issues, tight deadlines, extended hours beyond the normal workday, weekend work, and regular travel in-season and on-call availability.
- Faithfully and diligently execute related duties of the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, as requested or assigned by the Director of Creative Media, Associate Athletic Director for Football External Affairs, and Director of Player Personnel.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in graphic design or related field such as journalism, communications, advertising or similar field.
- Two (2) years graphic design experience.
- Experience as a graduate assistant is acceptable.
- Maintain high standard of ethics and integrity related to intercollegiate athletics.
- Knowledge of NCAA Division I intercollegiate athletics.
- Strong working knowledge of NCAA and conference rules, regulations, policies and guidelines and the ability to apply those rules.
- Demonstrated knowledge of intercollegiate athletics.
- Demonstrated knowledge of design, editing, marketing practices and public relations skills.
- Exhibit strong creative, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated skills in writing and editing copy.
- Demonstrated knowledge of correct English, grammar, spelling, punctuation and sentence structure.
- Demonstrated ability in public speaking skills.
- Maintain knowledge of state and University policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate in English complex information or instructions.
- Ability to function professionally under high stress and confrontational circumstances.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks for extended period of time.
- Ability to independently plan, organize and prioritize work.
- Proactive attitude towards work and assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and develop personal contacts with outside groups, i.e. vendors and University community.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Demonstrated knowledge of record keeping and adherence to schedule.
- Ability to stay abreast of information impacting the affected area.
- Demonstrated ability to drive and travel via motor vehicle.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and motivate individuals.
- Ability to maintain proper unit attendance and punctuality standards, work extended hours including nights and weekends (often with extensive walking and standing).
- Demonstrated ability to operate a personal computer and possess advanced skills in word processing, desk publishing and web writing software.
- Demonstrated knowledge of making and using design concepts for guides, web, multimedia, video and photography.
- Demonstrated knowledge of professional photography such as composition, lighting, photo editing, retouching, black and white and color.
- Demonstrated ability and knowledge of computer hardware and software, such as Quark, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, Word, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of making and using design concepts for print, web, multimedia, photographs, video illustrations, plans, charts and models (scale, color, typography, etc.).
- Must have the ability to create as well as review and recognize
high-quality and compelling digital media needed for the effective
dissemination of vital university information.
- Valid driver's license.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley — the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.