Graduate Enrollment Counselor
Reporting to the Director of Graduate Enrollment Management (GEM), the Graduate Enrollment Counselor is responsible for counseling and advising prospective graduate students on application processes and enrollment requirements at San Jose State University. In addition, they will represent SJSU at graduate recruitment activities, workshops, and events. The incumbent serves as a university contact for prospective students interested in applying to graduate degree and non-degree programs at SJSU. In addition, the incumbent provides support services to these prospective students. These support services include interpreting and explaining SJSU’s policies and requirements to prospective graduate students to help them better understand the application and enrollment processes. Working independently but under general supervision, the incumbent is primarily responsible for complex tasks regarding all processes related to graduate enrollment counseling and recruiting to ensure enrollment goals are met. The objective in all interactions is to provide excellent customer service, accurate information regarding policies and procedures, and actively collaborate to establish cordial and collegial relationships with other university staff, prospective students, and those contacting the Graduate Enrollment Management office.
- Counseling and Advising
- Recruitment Activities and Events
- Recruitment Planning and Travel
- General operations and events in the College of Graduate Studies
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- General knowledge of research and interview techniques and of the principles of individual and group behavior
- Excellent customer service, personal, and public speaking skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of university enrollment requirements and the graduate application process
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports
- Ability to reason logically, collect, compile, analyze, and evaluate data and make verbal or written presentations based on the data
- Ability to advise prospective students, college staff, and other partners individually and in group settings
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of cross-cultural sensitivity
- Working knowledge of technology and software applications such as: word processing, spreadsheet, database management, and communication tools
- Ability to learn student administration PeopleSoft, Filemaker, OnBase, CRM, and other programs
- Ability to learn, implement and adapt to new virtual platforms for recruitment, college fairs, outreach, and yield purposes
- Ability to plan and execute multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects
- Ability to travel locally and out of area for graduate recruitment/yielding events/fairs
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours are required during peak recruitment/yield and processing periods
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or a job‑related field
- Two years of professional experience in one of the student services program areas or in a related field
- Master’s degree in a job‑related field may be substituted for one year of professional experience
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
- Master’s degree in a related-field
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible professional student services work experience
- Demonstrated experience working in a higher education enrollment management environment, preferably in graduate recruitment and enrollment advising
- Experience with PeopleSoft, and customer service-based technology systems
- Demonstrated excellent written communication skills
- Demonstrated work experience in communicating admissions and or student services policies and procedures to prospective graduate student and university constituents
Classification: Student Services Professional II
Salary Range: $4,304/month - $6,120/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: April 19, 2021 through May 3, 2021 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: April 19, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Admissions, Enrollment, Retention & Registrar Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Counseling Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Other Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose