Assistant / Associate / Professor
Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F67350 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Open Working Title Assistant / Associate / Professor School/Unit College of Health Professions Department Nurse Anesthesia Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Open Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
The Mission of the Department of Nurse Anesthesia is to provide learners with the knowledge and skills necessary to work as part of an interprofessional team to serve the public through the delivery of safe, cost efficient, quality anesthesia services. We strive to develop leaders and scholars who will advance the specialty of nurse anesthesia through research, scholarship, and public service. We achieve our mission by establishing an environment that promotes excellence, values diversity, stimulates creativity, and recognizes achievement.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
The Department of Nurse Anesthesia in the College of Health Professions is seeking a colleague to lead and collaborate in research and scholarship, participate in service to the department and the university, and contribute to leadership in the profession. Research, teaching and service in nurse anesthesia.
This position is responsible for teaching, service to the department, college, university and specialty, and engaging in scholarly activities related to discovery, application and integration. This position is also responsible for assisting with the coordination, implementation, administration, and/or evaluation of the VCU Nurse Anesthesia entry to practice and post-master’s Doctor of Nurse Anesthesia Practice program tracks. This position will be involved in quality assessment and quality improvement approaches to maximizing the impact of the Doctor of Nurse Anesthesia Practice program. Minimal to moderate overnight travel to distance campuses is required.
• Engage in scholarly activity to enhance knowledge in nurse anesthesia.
• Design and conduct scholarly initiatives, including acquisition of grant funding and overseeing of research projects.
• Disseminate research findings via scholarly writing and publication; write, publish and/or present scholarly documents to advance the knowledge base of the profession of nurse anesthesia.
• Teach courses in the Doctor of Nurse Anesthesia program and Nurse Anesthesiology Faculty Associates consistent with areas of knowledge and skill and department need.
• Advise graduate students.
• Serve as research and doctoral project mentor.
• Demonstrate advanced skill and judgment for relatively independent decision-making and as an active team member related to course design, development and evaluation.
• Deliver course content and provide timely evaluation of graduate students.
• Serve on department, school, university and professional committees and engage in other forms of professional service.
• Provide professional and community service in area of expertise.
• Earned doctoral degree in related area
• Exceptional emotional stability in order to function during periods of stress
• Ability to attend to a variety of demands simultaneously; solve problems quickly; accept direction and constructive criticism; work harmoniously with stakeholders; assume a continuing professional development program to stay current on issues related to higher education and nurse anesthesia
• Record of teaching excellence, service, scholarship, and administration
• Ability to complement and expand existing expertise in the Department
• Junior faculty members will be required to have an established research agenda and a clear potential for external funding, and potential for scholarship or creative expression to complement and expand existing expertise in the department
• Senior faculty members will be required to have a well-developed scholarly/research portfolio with evidence of multi-disciplinary applications and external funding appropriate to complement and expand existing expertise in the department
• Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
• Experience or high potential for effectively and inclusively educating and mentoring graduate students from under-represented minority and/or historically marginalized communities
• Demonstrated experience or high potential for fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
• Experience in promoting racial equity, inclusivity, and diversity in the learning and working environment
• Virginia RN licensure and licensure to practice as a CRNA in the commonwealth of Virginia
• Certification as a CRNA by the NBCRNA
• Three years of experience in a field related to anesthesia and higher education
• Post-doctoral research training and/or a strong history of grant-funded research
• Background and experience in research, clinical practice, and teaching in anesthesiology
• Evidence of effective public speaking
• Experience in program evaluation in higher education
• Clinical experience in ultrasound guided regional anesthesia
Date Posted 04/19/2021 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date 05/21/2021 Proposed Hire Date 07/01/2021 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
Candidates who apply by the priority deadline of May 21, 2021 will be considered first.
If interested, please submit a curriculum vitae, cover letter, diversity statement (under the “other documents” section), and the names and contact information of three professional references via VCU eJobs at www.vcujobs.com.
For more information, contact Dr. Thomas Corey Davis, Search Committee Chair at email@example.com.
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences; and past, present, and future academic and professional activities have or will contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience.
Posted Salary Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/105313 Diversity Statement Information For more information on diversity statements, including guidelines, please click here . Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Diversity Statement (Required for all Faculty)
- Reference Letter - 1
- Reference Letter - 2
- Reference Letter - 3