Director of Communications
Director of Communications
Long Island University
The Director of Communications is the lead communications officer for the university. This position is responsible for the development and implementation of internal and external communication strategies that increase the visibility and reputation of the University. The position supervises key communication areas, including public relations, internal communications, stakeholder engagement, social media, web project management, and visual management.
- Develops and executes a strategic and comprehensive communications plan, which advances significant media publicity endeavors, supports university marketing and branding initiatives, enhances the image and reputation of LIU, and executes mission-critical university events and programs.
- Oversees public relations, media relations, social media, web content management, advertising, marketing, crisis management, photography and video services, and internal communications.
- Identifies and builds relationships with a wide range of key constituencies, including faculty, administrators, current and prospective students, media, parents, alumni, donors and local government officials.
- Works in collaboration with administrators in the areas of admissions, enrollment services, registrar, student success, student affairs and budget management to accomplish campus goals and mission.
- Works closely with the Office of Academic Affairs and the academic deans to promote the recruitment and marketing needs of LIU Post's five schools of study.
- Writes, edits and produces critical collateral materials used
in employee communications, admissions marketing and retention
- Master's degree preferred. Minimum of 8 years of professional experience in the public relations, journalism, communications, and/or marketing field.
Training, Skills, Knowledge, Experience:
- Superb writing and editing competency.
- Demonstrated leadership, management and speaking skills.
- Solid experience in corporate, higher education, or not-for-profit communications.
- Ability to manage numerous projects simultaneously with changing priorities.
- Ability to make decisions quickly.
- Excellent prioritization, organizational and time-management skills.
- Demonstrated flexibility, professionalism under pressure, and self-directed approach.
- Ability to function independently and in teams.
- Strategic thinker who excels at generating and executing original ideas and opportunities for the university to raise its profile regionally, nationally and internationally.
Office setting with off-site assignments, involving campus events and participation. Position requires attendance at local government meetings and community events of internal and external stakeholders.
Materials & Equipment:
PC computer, iPad, Internet access, printers, business telephone, digital camera
Please send cover letter, resume and contact information for
LIU is an equal opportunity employer. LIU is committed to
extending equal opportunity in employment to all qualified
candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of
our academic community. LIU encourages applications from all
qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion,
genetic information, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender
identity or expression, marital or parental status, national
origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status,
age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable local,
state or federal laws. Hiring is contingent on eligibility to
work in the United States.
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://jobs.liu.edu/#/job_details/1813