Budget Planning Analyst
Budget Planning Analyst
Arizona State University
Office of Planning & Budget
The Office of Planning and Budget (OPB) is seeking a dynamic individual to join our team. OPB serves as a steward of resources and trusted advisor to University leadership to support decision-making and enable strategy.Reporting to the Principal Budget Planning Analyst, the Budget Planning Analyst will assist in the development and execution of policies, processes, and practices in the areas of budgeting, planning, and analysis. The Budget Planning Analyst uses a collaborative and consultative approach to working effectively across stakeholder groups to address financial opportunities and challenges for the University.
Depends On Experience
- Under administrative direction, serves a primary role in facilitating the development and implementation of annual all-funds budgets for assigned administrative and academic units.
- Performs work related to strategic planning, budget variance analysis, commitment analysis, revenue and expense forecasting, what-if scenario analysis, program evaluation, performance management, and other efforts that support administration decision-making. Evaluates critical cost pools and works with assigned units to identify cost saving measures, including utilities, employee benefits, debt service, and other general operating expenses.
- Builds, maintains, and updates financial models and associated financial analysis. Performs financial account reconciliations, statement analysis, and transaction research. Participates in the development of less complex mid and long range predictive enrollment, space, staffing, and financial models that support strategic planning efforts and executive decision-making.
- Supports preparation of strategic planning documents.
- Supports analysis of complex proposals led by senior departmental staff.
- Develops data-driven solutions and technical guidance to solve financial, operational, or strategic issues facing assigned units.
- Develops a strong understanding of the core functionality of Adaptive Planning, the University’s enterprise-wide budget and planning software; capable of providing technical guidance to assigned units to enhance their use of the software for budgeting, forecasting, and reporting needs.
- Ensures financial compliance with University/Board policies and procedures and applicable legal rules and regulations.
- Compares data from a variety of sources to ensure accuracy using judgment, and relying on knowledge of subject material.
- Gathers information; identifies analysis methodologies; and prepares, develops, and submits written and graphic results of the evaluation of data under the supervision of senior staff.
- Represents the department with academic and administrative units. Performs other duties upon request.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field and two (2) years of experience in financial or budget analysis or strategic planning; OR, any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding, and manipulating a computer mouse.
- Required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work.
- Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds.
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
- Communicate to perform essential functions.
- Regular use of standard office equipment including, but not limited to: computer workstation/laptop (keyboard, monitor, mouse), printer, fax, calculator, copier, telephone and associated computer/technology peripherals.
The Office of Planning and Budget (OPB) is responsible for facilitating the development and management of the University’s annual planning and budgeting processes. This includes resource planning, modeling, allocations, tracking, forecasting, and reporting, as well as decision support analysis for unit and enterprise-wide leadership. In addition, OPB handles external reporting requirements and information requests from the State’s Joint Legislative Budget Committee (JLBC) and its Office of Strategic Planning and Budgeting (OSPB), and the Arizona Board of Regents.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 90,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofreeAmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.Resume and cover letter should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.Applicant must be eligible to work in the United States; ASU Office of Planning and Budget will not be a sponsor for this position.ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.