Open Rank Position, Design
Open Rank Position, Design, George Mason University School of Art
George Mason University invites a diverse range of applicants for an open rank position to support the Graphic Design or Design Thinking program in the School of Art. George Mason University is committed to values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and access that inform academic excellence. We are committed to dismantling racism in our structures, polices, and practices. We hope to identify individuals who will support our anti-racist mission. We seek candidates who will not only enhance our representational diversity but whose research, teaching, and community engagement efforts contribute to diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning and working environments for our students, staff, and faculty.
About the Graphic Design or Design Thinking Program:
At Mason, B.A. design students learn conceptual and digital craft skills culminating in a final project. B.F.A. students build on the B.A. foundation, exploring design history in greater depth and receiving exposure to specializations such as UX design, package design, information design and advertising design. The School of Art also offers an MFA in graphic design with an emphasis on design authorship.
About the Position:
The selected candidate will have a broad range of skills and expertise in design and will be expected to teach courses across the School. We are particularly interested in finding candidates who can round out the strengths of existing faculty (one or more of the following backgrounds or abilities are particularly desired): UX design, design thinking, motion design, environmental design, and particularly hybrid practices.
In addition to teaching, the selected candidate will be expected to engage in professional creative research and perform service, which will include committee work, recruitment, and participation in School of Art events. The position, which is contingent on funding, is a 9-month appointment beginning August 2021.
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in the graphic design and design thinking programs and develop new courses that will expand the School’s offerings and serve students in related disciplines;
- Sustain an active program of creative and/or scholarly research in their areas of expertise, produce peer-reviewed publications, and participate in local and national professional organizations;
- Complement existing faculty expertise in design, theory, research, and intersecting areas;
- Contribute to interdisciplinary research and teaching within the School of Art;
- Supervise and mentor graduate student thesis;
- Contribute to the School’s commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic community.
- MFA (or equivalent) degree in Design or a related field; or substantial professional record with national/international recognition;
- Successful experience teaching Graphic Design at the college level;
- Active record of recognized professional activity and creative research;
- Experience working with a diverse population.
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusive pedagogies, issues related to unconscious bias in design, and/or accessible design;
- Research and pedagogical focus in any of the following areas: human-centered or user experience design; mobile and/or emergent technologies; UX/UI design; interactive or motion design; design strategy, research, history, theory, and criticism; service design or community engagement; generative design and data visualization; or speculative technologies such as VR, AR or AI;
- Demonstrate and articulate a vision for the future of design education;
- Capacity for leadership, and a record of strong research and scholarship.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number F629Az at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload the following:
- Cover Letter
- Teaching philosophy addressing DEIA (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Access)
- Links to Scholarly and/or Creative Work (as Other doc.)
- Sample Syllabi (as Other doc.)
- List of 3 to 5 Professional References, with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fairfax
- Arts Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fairfax
- Design & Graphic Arts Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fairfax
- Other Arts Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fairfax