Assistant Director, Student Involvement and Development
Assistant Director, Student Involvement and Development
The Assistant Director of Student Involvement and Development is responsible for supporting the Director in identifying, planning, and directing the Office of Student Involvement and Development ( OSID ) activities. The Assistant Director is accountable for applying knowledge and understanding of student development theory and student organization policy to support the OSID’s work to provide leadership opportunities, training, and support for student organizations, student leaders, and advisors.
The Assistant Director will advise and provide administrative supervision to facilitate and assist program and activity planning and implementation to the Washburn fraternity and sorority community, including the Panhellenic Council, Inter-fraternity Council, Multicultural Greek Council, Order of Omega, and Bacchus/ GAMMA .
Essential Job Functions of Position
• Provide administrative support and resources to strengthen the Fraternity and Sorority Life ( FSL ) community and serve as a liaison between the University and the fraternity and sorority organizations. Offer advisory support to fraternities and sororities related to various program areas, such as new member education, scholarship, and social service programming, to promote organizational success and ensure departmental advising and assistance responsibilities are met.
• Develop and present training for student organizations to learn how to lead, plan events and operate within University policies. Provide oversight of the Student Organization platform. Provide technical assistance in support of training for student organizations. Answer questions and offer recommendations regarding processes and requirements to assist students and organizations in registering student organizations with the Office of Student Involvement and Development and other student organization policy areas to ensure University policy compliance.
• Complete financial documents to report expenditures for assigned travel, activities, and events. Compile and prepare financial reports to track the FSL budget and to inform Department Director.
• Define and evaluate desired outcomes of the academic and non-academic learning experience for the FSL Community to serve as a basis for planning, enhancing, and reporting FSL and other campus-based programming at Washburn University.
• Compile, assess, and maintain information related to undergraduate perceptions of the experience as a member of the FSL community, statistics on membership recruitment, FSL grades, and other information to assess student engagement for all student organizations at Washburn.
• Perform additional job-related duties as assigned or as appropriate.
Non-Essential Job Functions of Position
• Serve on committees as assigned or as appropriate.
Education and Experience
• Master’s Degree in college student personnel, public administration, higher education administration, or a similar area of study and one year of post-undergraduate experience working with college students or Greek letter organizations in an advisory capacity.
Preferred: Two to three years of experience working as a professional or in a leadership position with student groups or organizations, campus programming, or Fraternity and Sorority Life.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Ability to navigate the internet. Email usage. Capable of presenting to large audiences for marketing or recognition purposes.
Preferred: Graphic Design for marketing and promotional materials. Experience in FSL community growth in IFC, Panhellenic, and including culturally-based Chapters.
Experience advising culturally-based fraternity and sorority organizations.
Knowledge of assessment and strategic planning experience.
Licenses, Certifications & Registrations
Additional Requirements (e.g. Physical Demands)
Ability to attend evening and weekend activities to provide support and assistance to student groups.
Campus Security Authority
Special Instructions to Applicant
Regular Business Hours, Other - Some evenings and weekends
Average Hours per Week
Months per Year
Washburn is dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching focused academic environment and a curriculum that engages the diversity of human experience across the globe. We seek candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Application materials should clearly articulate how the candidate will contribute to the University’s commitment to diversity and inclusion through their teaching, research, and/or service.
Washburn University is an EOE . Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or parental status.
Background Check Required?
Driving History Checked?
Drug Screen Required?
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
For earliest consideration apply by
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled?
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a master’s degree in college student personnel,
public administration, higher education administration, or a
similar area of study?
- * Do you have one year of post-undergraduate experience working
with college students or Greek letter organizations in an advisory
- * Do you have experience working with student organization
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Minority & Multicultural Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Other Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka