The Payroll Specialist is responsible for the processing of payroll and maintenance of all associated payroll records and files in an accurate, efficient and effective manner. A high level of internal and external customer service is required. The Payroll Specialist also provides administrative support to the Finance Unit.
Essential Job Functions of Position
Responsibilities for Payroll Processing:
● Review timesheets to identify those that need approval or appear to be inaccurate and initiate appropriate action to ensure accurate, timely processing of nonexempt, student (both bi-weekly), and faculty/exempt (monthly) payrolls.
● Initiate Banner computer processes to run payrolls.
● Perform data entry for manual timesheets, supplemental and incidental pay vouchers.
● Override unapproved electronic timesheets, enter approvals to allow payroll processing.
● Identify and research pay discrepancies, determine and initiate appropriate corrections and necessary adjustments when errors have occurred.
● Save electronic copies of applicable payroll and deduction registers.
● Review Forms W-4 for completeness.
● Verify accuracy and completeness of direct deposit requests. Establish or modify direct deposit information in the Banner system.
● Validate accuracy and completeness of information on payroll card (“Focus Card”) requests. Establish or modify ACH information in Banner. Enter and maintain appropriate employee information into the Focus Card system. Ensure physical security of unissued Focus Cards.
● Process garnishment, child support, tax levy, and/or bankruptcy payments.
● Maintain payroll forms on file for future reference and documentation.
● Study IRS list-serves and publications to stay abreast of tax and reporting changes.
● Assist with preparation of payroll tax returns, printing, and transmittal of Forms W-2, 1099’s, running and reviewing relevant reports, completing forms, etc.
Benefits Administration support includes but is not limited to:
● Inputting accurate employee deduction and withholding information into Banner. Retain reports as necessary.
● Maintaining files of appropriate employee benefit election forms.
● Reviewing Banner reports for accuracy of employee benefits changes and deductions. Prepare payment vouchers to initiate deduction disbursements.
● Record and track retiree records and employee leaves of absence to ensure appropriate administration according to University policy and statutory requirements.
Providing general administrative support to the Finance Unit, which includes:
● Providing appropriate responses (in substance and in tone) to the employee and departmental inquiries and those inquiries concerning past and present employment as directed by University policy.
● Resolving routine payroll-related issues and consult with other members of staff across departments as needed.
● Updating and maintenance of electronic files. (Direct deposit, Focus Card authorizations, and current employee addresses).
● Scanning and Indexing Accounts Payable Invoices.
● Participating in cross-training between positions in the Finance office.
● Inputting allocations to OneCard accounting and reconcile invoice receipts with charges on the OneCard system.
Perform additional job-related duties as assigned.
Non-Essential Job Functions of Position
Education and Experience
High school diploma, GED, or equivalent. Two years of experience in accounts payables, receivables, payroll, and/or general accounting/bookkeeping.
Preferred: Successful completion of two or more college-level accounting courses.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Effective customer and communication skills. Proficient in using Microsoft Office, especially Excel. Experience using computer-based payroll or accounting systems. Ability to adapt to a changing environment, manage multiple priorities, and work well in a team environment.
Preferred: Experience in preparation and reconciliation of federal and state withholding returns, year-end tax reports, and Forms W-2. Understanding of laws and regulations relating to tax withholdings, Fair Labor Standards Act, and employee vs. independent contractor determination.
Licenses, Certifications & Registrations
Additional Requirements (e.g. Physical Demands)
Campus Security Authority
Special Instructions to Applicant
$15.57 per hour
Regular Business Hours
Average Hours per Week
Months per Year
Washburn is an EOE and dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching focused academic environment and a curriculum that engages the diversity of human experience across the globe. We seek candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Application materials should clearly articulate how the candidate will contribute to the University’s commitment to diversity and inclusion through their teaching, research, and/or service.
Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or parental status.
Background Check Required?
Driving History Checked?
Drug Screen Required?
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
For earliest consideration apply by
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled?
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a high school diploma, GED or equivalent?
- * Do you have at least two years of experience in accounts
payable, receivables, payroll and/or general
- * Are you proficient in using Microsoft Excel?
- No-experience using other spreadsheet software
- * Do you have experience using computer-based payroll or
- Cover Letter
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Accounting & Finance Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Topeka