Extension Agent I or II – Agriculture and Natural Resources (73170)
The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences is committed to creating an environment that affirms diversity across a variety of dimensions, including ability, class, ethnicity/race, gender identity and expression. We particularly welcome applicants who can contribute to such an environment through their scholarship, teaching, mentoring, and professional service. We strongly encourage historically underrepresented groups to apply.
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or visit Accessibility at UF .
The Univ. of Florida (UF) is a Land Grant institution with core values of unique purpose, excellence, integrity, collaboration and partnership, lifelong learning, diversity, responsiveness, innovation, communication, and global reach. IFAS employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff statewide. IFAS Extension employs 375 Extension Agents and has an office in each of Florida’s 67 counties.
Our mission in the Florida Cooperative Extension Service is to partner with communities to provide quality, relevant education and research-based expertise to foster healthy people, a healthy environment, and a healthy economy. We are the resource that helps educate Floridians to address issues related to agriculture, horticulture, natural resources, youth development, families and communities.
We hire the best. Diverse views and experiences make us strong. We look for people with both academic and people skills who work well in teams, honor their commitments, innovate in a rapidly changing world, and believe in inclusion and diversity. We desire an Agent who will use a variety of marketing techniques to reach diverse populations to ensure diversity, inclusion, and equity; someone who will implement procedures to make sure strategies are used to allow diverse populations to be successful in his/her programmatic efforts. Working for Florida Cooperative Extension will allow you to make a positive impact in your community as you help shape future generations, growing your career while earning a competitive salary and great benefits.
As an Extension Agent, you will work jointly for UF/IFAS Extension and Marion County. We seek an individual with skills in animal manure management to provide educational programs for more than 900 equine farms and other large and small operations. Programs will cover manure handling, storage, treatment (where possible and applicable), and use on or off the farm and will include nutrient management from animal manure and water quality protection.
What you will do:
- Visit livestock farms and ranches in Marion County to teach farm owners and managers how to implement best manure management practices in their operations.
- Build and implement a Master Naturalist program.
- Collaborate with the Marion County Livestock Agent on related areas.
- Work as part of an extension team that teaches how to protect water quality and water supply.
- Address issues affecting the agriculture industry including food systems and the environment, to include coverage of invasive species, wildlife, natural spaces, farm aquatics, and farm ponds.
- Teach the public, particularly youth audiences, about the importance of agriculture and natural resources in Marion County.
- Recruit, maintain, and use input and support from an active Extension Advisory Committee for subject matter program development, marketing and networking.
- Collaborate with other extension personnel, media, other county departments, community, local and state agencies, and local partners to enhance educational outreach and program marketing.
- Develop an annual plan of work and a report of accomplishment and other required reports on a regular and timely basis.
- Seek, obtain, and manage grants, in-kind funding, and other funds to enhance programmatic efforts.
- Work with diverse audiences following all Affirmative Action guidelines.
- Effectively work as a member of the extension team and contribute to statewide extension programming in support of the Extension long-range plan (the “Roadmap”).
- Maintain a favorable image of UF/IFAS Extension in the community and be actively involved in Marion County community life.
- Follow all UF, IFAS, and Marion County policies and procedures.
- Participate in professional organizations appropriate for this position.
- Contribute at least 5% of effort towards work with the local 4-H Youth Development Agent, youth, and volunteers in planning, teaching, evaluating and reporting on youth development programming in subject matter areas of expertise.
- Work closely with the County Extension Director, the Central District Extension Director and Marion County government and assume other duties assigned by them.
In the event of an emergency, all employees considered essential personnel and may be required to perform alternate duties at county or district level.
Extension is a partnership between state, federal, and county governments to provide scientific knowledge and expertise to the public. As such, all partners are involved in the supervision of the office and contribute to the salary and support resources. The primary goal of Extension is to disseminate the latest knowledge and applicable technologies in agriculture, human and natural resources, and the life sciences in order to sustain and enhance the quality of human life. The UF/IFAS mission is accomplished through Extension faculty members, scientists, educators, administrative staff, and volunteers working cohesively throughout Florida’s 67 counties.
Candidates will be reviewed as applications are received, but please be aware that interviews might not be scheduled until 4 to 6 weeks after the position closing date. Are you a good match? Apply today!
What you will bring (minimum required):
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in animal science, soil and water science, agricultural engineering, or a related discipline. We will accept applicants without a bachelor’s degree if the degree will be earned by May 2021.
- Strong oral and written interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and balance diverse responsibilities.
- A strong commitment to customer service and Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access (IDEA) guidelines of UF/IFAS Extension.
- Ability to possess or to be able to obtain and maintain a valid Florida Driver’s license
- Ability to pass a national background check.
- Flexibility with working hours; willingness to work irregular hours including evenings, weekends, and overnight travel, as well as travel with a County or University assigned vehicle, or a personal vehicle.
- Ability to comply with the Memorandum of Understanding between Marion County Government and the University of Florida.
What you will bring (preferred):
- A master’s degree. If hired solely with a bachelor’s degree, we want you to continue to grow in your career. As such, we expect you to make at least 50% progress towards obtaining your master’s degree within the first 6 years of employment.
- Professional experience and leadership in areas related to this position.
- Practical experience in extension, teamwork, leadership skills, and problem solving.
- Experience using a variety of educational methods including technology-enhanced and technology-based instruction to reach diverse audiences.
- Experience obtaining extramural funding.
- Excellent organizational skills and good record-keeping techniques.
Apply at http://apply.interfolio.com/86613 by 11:59 p.m. (Eastern) of the posting end date, and attach:
- Cover letter that describes how your experience and qualifications have prepared you for this position
- Résumé or Curriculum vitae
- Unofficial copies of all transcripts and/or coursework of your academic degrees
The following documents are also required and may either be submitted through the above link at the time of application, or sent separately to our office (below).
- Current and Previous Employment Form (located at https://hr.ifas.ufl.edu/resources/form-index/current-and-previous-employment-form/ ).
- A minimum of 3 reference rating forms (located at http://hr.ifas.ufl.edu/assets/pdf/forms/ref_form.pdf ) from your professional/academic references. Reference forms will be kept on file for 1 year and will be automatically used with any of our extension agent positions you apply for during that time.
Reference rating forms and unofficial transcripts not submitted at the time of application should be submitted/postmarked by the next business day after the position’s closing date. They may be submitted to:
Ms. Dana LeCuyer
UF IFAS Human Resources
Faculty Recruitment and Hiring
P O Box 110281
Gainesville, FL 32611-0281
Fax: (352) 392-3226
Final candidate will be required to provide official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), which can be found at http://www.naces.org/ .
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff.
The University of Florida is An Equal Employment Opportunity Institution. If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352/392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800/955-8771 (TDD). Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. Searches are conducted in accordance with Florida's Sunshine Law.
The University of Florida is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Ocala
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Ocala
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Ocala
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Ocala
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Ocala