Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F67420 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Open Working Title Chair School/Unit College of Health Professions Department Patient Counseling Program Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Open Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
The mission of the Department of Patient Counseling is to provide clinical education for pastoral care professionals as well as other healthcare providers in the spiritual care of patients and families within an interdisciplinary context.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
Virginia Commonwealth University ( VCU ) seeks a visionary and transformative leader to be the next Chair of the Department of Patient Counseling in the College of Health Professions and the Director of Pastoral Care for VCU Health. The Chair will provide general oversight of the clinical responsibilities of the department’s faculty serving at VCU Health, a 741-bed teaching hospital and trauma center. The Department seeks an individual who will lead and support an innovative and expanding program. The successful candidate will grow a strong and diverse Department by anticipating the changes in patient counseling and providing the tools needed to succeed in a dynamic environment. Based in Richmond, Virginia, the Department of Patient Counseling has a strong legacy of providing clinical education for pastoral care professionals as well as other health care providers in the spiritual care of patients and families within an interdisciplinary context. The Department seeks to develop highly skilled spiritual caregivers. The Department prepares students for health care chaplaincy and caring ministries in diverse settings. The Robert B. Lantz Endowment is available for the successful candidate.
Reporting to the Dean of the College of Health Professions, the incumbent will foster a culture of inclusion, diversity, and equity in one of the top programs in the country and will champion innovation at every turn. This position will be charged with facilitating enrollment, recruiting and retaining a diverse and talented faculty and staff, and engaging with a large alumni base. The Chair will be in a strong position to facilitate collaborations and partnerships within the College of Health Professions, as well as VCU Health, and the community, to provide new opportunities for students, faculty, and staff.
• Ensures effective management of Department resources.
• Ensures management of program planning and curriculum development, revision and integration of new topic areas.
• Ensures and maintains the quality and currency of the educational programs.
• Ensures faculty development, accountability, and opportunities for professional growth as well as establishment of productivity measures and faculty evaluation criteria/norms.
• Develops and maintains an acceptable balance of faculty teaching, service, research and scholarly activities based on the resources of the Department.
• Development of continuing education opportunities as needed.
• Prepares periodic reports concerning departmental activities, progress, and achievements for the Office of the Dean, senior administration of VCU Medical Center, and University officials.
• Promotes student recruitment and engagement as well as development of technology to support student learning.
• Ensures effective recruitment and advisement programs are established for prospective and current students.
• Ensures the maintenance of accreditation, quality, and currency of the educational programs.
• Maintains a strong development and fundraising program with established donors, alumni and the community in collaboration with the Dean’s Office.
• Builds capacity for external research funding.
• Promotes strong relationships with appropriate state, regional, and national professional organizations
• Ensures Department responsiveness to its various constituencies including students, alumni and community members.
• Promotes a strong Department image through faculty participation in national organizations as well as scholarly publication and research and connection to practitioners.
• Promotes faculty and staff collaboration and morale.
• Assumes teaching, research, and service activities compatible with an administrative load.
• Oversees and assures the success of the mission and scope of service of the Department of Pastoral Care in VCU Health and reports, indirectly, to the Vice President for Patient Care Services.
• Performs other duties as related to the operation of the Department.
• A graduate level degree in, and dedicated commitment to, a field relevant to chaplaincy/pastoral care/spiritual care, clinical pastoral education or religious studies.
• Clinical, teaching, and administrative experience in spiritual care/pastoral care and/or ACPE clinical pastoral education
• Demonstrated experience in leadership
• Excellent oral, written, organizational and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated experience or high potential for working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
• Junior faculty members will be required to have an established research agenda and a clear potential for external funding, and potential for scholarship or creative expression to complement and expand existing expertise in the department
• Senior faculty members will be required to have a well-developed scholarly/research portfolio with evidence of multi-disciplinary applications and external funding appropriate to complement and expand existing expertise in the department
• Experience or high potential for effectively and inclusively educating and mentoring students from under-represented minority and/or historically marginalized communities
• Eligible for tenure and advanced rank of Associate or Full Professor
• Demonstrated excellence in teaching
• Demonstrated commitment to community service and engagement
• Demonstrated scholarly achievement which is recognized in national and professional circles
• Board certified as a chaplain or related relevant experience
Date Posted 02/15/2021 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date 04/30/2021 Proposed Hire Date 07/01/2021 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
Update as of 4/16/21: Candidates who apply by the priority deadline of April 30, 2021 will be considered first.
If interested, please submit a curriculum vitae, cover letter, diversity statement, and (under the “other documents” section) the names and contact information of three professional references via VCU eJobs at www.vcujobs.com.
Questions about the position should be directed to Dr. Amy Armstrong, chair of the search committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences; and past, present, and future academic and professional activities have or will contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience.
Posted Salary Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/103533 Diversity Statement Information For more information on diversity statements, including guidelines, please click here . Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Diversity Statement (Required for all Faculty)