About Salve Regina University:
Salve Regina University, ranked as one of the most transformative colleges in the United States by Money Magazine and among the best regional universities in the north by U.S. News and World Report, is a comprehensive Catholic University located in the scenic coastal community of Newport, Rhode Island. The University's commitment to academic success and personal discovery extends beyond its historic campus into a dynamic world where the application of higher thinking and skill are most valued. Salve Regina offers associate, bachelor's and master's degree programs, graduate certificates, and doctoral programs in humanities, international relations and nursing. Enrollment includes more than 2,600 undergraduate and graduate students from across the U.S. and around the world.
Responsible for all aspects of the entire University payroll processing function, including relationships with internal and external auditors and state and federal agencies. Ensures system and data integrity as it pertains to payroll.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Accurately and effectively process and manage the University payrolls, including regular, religious, and student employment.
- Responsible for payroll administration of Federal & State regulations, including Department of Labor laws to ensure the University's compliance with these requirements.
- Process and manage bi-weekly payment calculations for faculty full time & part-time contracts. Also, including calculations for staff according to payment schedules.
- Responsible for timely Federal and State tax payments through websites.
- Responsible for the reporting of fiscal and calendar year dollars for budgeting and auditing purposes.
- Deal directly with the Ellucian or internal IT staff concerning problems, concerns, or conflicts within the payroll system.
- Responsible for the preparation and processing of all manual and off-cycle checks.
- Serves as main technical contact in all payroll/time sheet processing matters.
- Coordinates and monitors interfaces in process flow and accuracy between HR, Finance, Student Accounts, Development and Financial Aid modules of Ellucian Colleague to ensure accuracy in general ledger posting activities and financial aid compliances/reporting, annual giving, and employee benefit reporting/payments.
- Responsible for the website transfer of 403B retirement pension remittances.
- Responsible for the attachment of wage levies and court ordered garnishments.
- Maintain federal & state reporting to confirm payments of required taxes & the processing of year-end W-2's, RI state tax reporting, quarterly 941's, quarterly R.I. TX17 and ACA filings. Prepare said reporting for review as well.
- Monitors and performs budget to actual analysis for salary/wage expenditures.
- Responsible for the oversight, processing, and accuracy of SRU leave plans
- Actively participate in the research & implementation of new payroll software systems and or payroll time reporting systems as needed.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Organize and assign work to establish priorities in workload due to set weekly deadlines.
- Prepare all payroll monthly general ledger postings.
- Conduct annual Workers Compensation Audit for Insurance Company
- Balance the payroll clearing account.
- Reporting and summarization of adjunct faculty by semester to be able to confirm the processing of the submitted contracts with the Academic Affairs Office.
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the AVP for Finance/Controller
- A Bachelor of Science degree in finance, business administration or management is preferred, and/or five years full-time work experience as head of a payroll department, preferably in a higher education setting.
- This position also requires the computer technological skill/expertise to understand and support the Ellucian Colleague payroll system.
- Certification by a nationally known payroll organization such as the ACA is preferred.
- This position requires that the incumbent be able to interpret institution policies, plans objectives, rules and regulations, and communicate the interpretation to subordinates and others.
- Must be able to work as part of an office team, and other university department teams.
- Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft suite of products.
- Must be able to prepare (using Excel and web- based reporting software), and present detailed studies and reports to include recommendations concerning the substance of the studies and reports.
- Must be able to handle difficult clients/students and analyze complex financial information.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills, effective oral and written communication skills, and a keen attention to detail.
- Confidentiality is of the utmost importance.
Salve Regina University offers generous benefits to eligible employees including:
- health and dental coverage
- life insurance
- long-term disability
- 403B plan
- tuition benefits and more
Salve Regina University strives to provide equal opportunity in employment and education to all employees, students and applicants. No employee, student or applicant shall be discriminated against or harassed on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, age, marital or parental status, military or veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable federal or state law, in the administration of Salve Regina's employment policies, education policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other University administered programs. In accordance with Title IX, it does not discriminate on the basis of sex in any of its educational programs or activities. Salve Regina is also committed to making its programs and campus accessible to its visitors and compliant with all applicable non-discrimination laws.
Applicants must apply online for any open staff and faculty positions by providing a cover-letter and resume. Pre-employment background checks and reference checks are required of successful candidates. Salve Regina University participates in E-verify.