Perkins Academic Support Coach
The Perkins Academic Support Coach is a part time, 25 hours per week, 12-month position reporting to the Director of Advising Services. Funded through the federal Perkins Grant, the primary role of the Academic Support Coach is to assist and aid non-traditional students, and students pursuing career and technical (CTE) programs at Dutchess Community College. This position will work closely with the academic coaches in the ACT Center to ensure that students’ goals are aligned with their academic program and that students are aware of career opportunities after earning their credential from Dutchess Community College. The Academic Support Coach will also be an additional resource to these specific cohorts of students. Based on the needs of the students, this position will assist with technological skills (using BlackBoard, Circle-In, the DCC website, Zoom, and Outlook email), accessing/buying/renting the necessary textbooks and course materials, accessing tutoring services, and acclimating to college life. The Perkins Academic Support Coach will also partner closely with the Admission’s Office to assist new non-traditional students through the onboarding process and further discuss their career and academic goals. When necessary, this position will also identify the needs of students so that they can continue to pursue their academic goals at DCC and coordinate with DCC Cares to address these needs. In conjunction with the college’s mission and vision, the Perkins Academic Support Coach will work to advocate for student educational achievement.
- Assist in the student onboarding efforts of the college for non-traditional and students pursuing CTE programs.
- Work with the academic coaches and students to align students’ career and academic goals.
- Academically advise new/transfer students and currently enrolled students.
- Assist with the technological needs of the students- guiding students through using BlackBoard, Outlook email, Circle-In, the DCC website, Zoom, etc.)
- Clarify personal values, abilities, interests and goals for the student's academics and life.
- Become knowledgeable about and adhere to institutional policies, procedures and requirements.
- Convey and communication with students about the college policies and processes
- Be a resource to students who need assistance and support with the expectations and culture of college life.
- Provide accurate and timely information; communicate information in a useful, efficient and effective manner.
- Recognize and respect students’ diverse backgrounds and possess strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Maintain student records and organize resource materials pertinent to each student's needs.
- Manage technology needed to support advising programs, including but not limited to Banner, Degree Works, and Starfish.
- Participate in First Year Experience programs.
- Participate in recruitment programs.
- Participate in departmental, divisional, and institutional assessment activities.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Master's degree preferred, or bachelor’s degree required, preferably in education or a field of study that enhances the individual's ability to assist students as an academic support coach.
- A minimum of 3 years of related experience, especially in the areas of student support services, career advisement, and delivery of academic support services.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- The ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student body.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with multiple constituents.
- Experience working in a community college setting is preferred.\
- Experience working with at-risk, non-traditional, and underrepresented student populations is preferred.
- Concern for student needs in a demanding academic context as well as flexibility, patience, and professional integrity.
- The ability to speak Spanish is preferred.
DCC is committed to the principle of diversity and encourages applications from women, minorities,
veterans, the disabled and all others (AA/EOE).
To Apply, please visit www.sunydutchess.edu/employment
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Poughkeepsie
- Student Affairs Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Poughkeepsie
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Poughkeepsie
- Career Services Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Poughkeepsie