SMU-2105179-Student Health Medical Assistant (Oakland Campus)
Under the supervision and general direction of the Director of Student Health and Counseling Center, the Medical Assistant will provide medical and administrative support at the Student Health and Counseling Center (SHAC). This position is responsible for overseeing patient flow and assisting the Nurse Practitioner in providing quality patient care to ensure professionalism and efficiency. The Medical Assistant will provide direct support to the operations of the Student Health and Counseling Centers, performing clerical duties, operational tasks, maintaining an accurate and up-to-date student health records database, and monitoring student compliance with all University health requirements.
This position requires strong performance in a wide variety of complex and specialized administrative duties to support the office functions and efficient operation of a busy University Health and Counseling Center. The desired candidate will have a sincere interest in student health and wellness, excellent interpersonal skills, exceptional organizational skills, pleasant demeanor, mature judgment, and professional approach in dealing with various constituents. This individual should be team oriented, experienced in supporting multiple people in a busy office environment, able to work independently, able to exercise considerable discretion and judgment in all work areas, and have an ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with a wide variety of people from diverse backgrounds. Applicants should possess diplomacy, tact, cultural sensitivity, the ability to adhere to strict student privacy and confidentiality regulations, and to honor the institution’s commitment to diversity.
Job Duties and Accountabilities:
An Asterisk (*) denotes an “essential job function” for ADA purposes.
50% Essential Clinical Operations and Procedures
- Greet and check-in clients/patients arriving at the Student Health and Counseling Center.
- Place patients in examination room and prepare patient for examination.
- Obtain pertinent information regarding history for patient intake forms.
- Obtain vital signs.
- Proactively communicate with clinicians and others in the clinic concerning flow of patients.
- Assist clinician with physical examination.
- Administer vaccines and TB test placement.
- Assist clinician with injury care which includes the following
- Wound care (clean, soak, medicate)
- Dressing changes
- Document all tests and procedures in patient medical record.
- Consistently and accurately documents all information.
- Use appropriate medical terminology.
- Data entry and data collections:
- Maintain daily logs: refrigerator temperature, vaccines, appointments, etc.
- Consistently and accurately document information regarding patients’ payments.
- Collect fees when appropriate.
- Provide clients/patients with receipt for any monies collected.
- Statistical information collection: Tracks daily patient activity and type of accounts.
- Input immunization information into the electronic health records.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned.
40% Student Health Records Operations and Procedures
- Evaluate and process student health forms. Verify data for accuracy, completeness and compliance. Maximize timely input of student demographic, health, and immunization data into the student health system. Maintain accurate health records for each Samuel Merritt University student.*
- Generate regular database queries, analyze reports, and establish timelines for tracking students to ensure compliance with health requirements.*
- Identify students who are non-compliant or have approaching due dates for various health requirements and direct the follow-up and reminder process*; Manage the process of placing and removing registration holds.*
- Communicate with students, academic departments, Admissions, and Registrar’s Office to procure data needed to keep the database current and accurate.*
- Develop, organize, and maintain filing system for student health records; assuring accuracy and completeness of each file.*
- Assist in maintaining databases and mailing lists of faculty and students.
- Attend orientations to communicate entrance requirements.
10% Office Administrative Operations and Procedures
- Provide exceptional customer service, maintain a pleasant, professional office atmosphere, greet, and assess the needs of students, staff, faculty, and guests.
- Execute complex and time sensitive administrative tasks such as: answering phones, filing, faxing, emailing, scheduling medical and counseling appointments, managing staff schedules, scheduling meetings, conferences, and teleconferences.
- Maintain customer confidence and protect operations by keeping all health and counseling records and information confidential, adhering to all HIPAA and FERPA regulations.
- Assist in the development, implementation, and execution of office policies and procedures. Improve efficiency and effectiveness of the health and counseling center.*
- Collect, analyze and maintain health information, student records, and statistical data in order to assist in strategic planning and develop process improvement activities.*
- Professionally representing the Health and Counseling Center at on and off campus University events
- Collaborate with Student Health Coordinator in processing invoices, check requests, and recording of payments.
- Assist Student Health director and clinicians with ordering and maintaining medial and office supplies. Anticipate, order, and verify receipt of supplies.
- Learn and apply emerging technologies to perform duties in an efficient, organized, and timely manner (e.g. Electronic Health Records systems, Excel spreadsheet, etc.)
- Ensure operation of office equipment (e.g. FAX machine, copiers) by completing preventive maintenance requirements, following manufacturer's instructions, troubleshooting malfunctions, calling for repairs, and maintaining equipment inventories.
- Prepare agenda and minutes for staff meetings
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops.
- Attend staff meetings, trainings, and special meetings with faculty and/or staff members.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Graduate of a certified Medical Assistant (MA) required.
- Bachelor degree preferred. Associate degree required.
- Minimum of two years of experience in a health care facility preferred.
- Strong communication skills with ability to effectively present information and respond to problems and questions in a timely manner.
- Communicate effectively with students, faculty, and staff of Samuel Merritt University, Summit Medical Center, and the public.
- Demonstrated proficiency with computers, including word processing, spreadsheets, electronic mail, internet, and desktop publishing (e.g., Microsoft Office applications).
- Ability to create, manage, and maintain a complex database and to query database and produce reports.
- Exhibit technical and analytical expertise with ability to conduct arithmetic and algebraic equations, read graphs, and create mathematical formulas in analyzing data.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities with strong organizational skills, excellent concentration, and attention to detail.
- Must maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information in a professional manner at all times.
- Must exhibit tact, discretion, problem-solving skills, and the ability to work as a member of the student health and counseling team.
- Ability to perform deskwork and sit for long periods of time.
- Must have the ability to move about the office and campus to accomplish tasks.
- Ability to receive detailed information through communication.
- Ability to use a computer.
- Ability to push, pull, climb, stoop, bend, stand, and have flexibility of the upper and lower body.
- Physical ability to lift 20 pounds, to move office files, supplies, and equipment.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Oakland
- Student Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Oakland
- Other Student Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Oakland
- Student Activities & Services Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Oakland