SPECIALTY LAB TECHNICIAN III - CERAMIC
SPECIALTY LAB TECHNICIAN III - CERAMIC
San Diego County - Grossmont College
Transforming lives through learning isn't just the vision of the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District. It happens every day with our 30,000 students who take the first step in their higher education, become trained for a new career, or learn knowledge that transforms their world perspective.
The Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District honors a diverse academic community and fosters equity mindedness across our institutions. As such, the District is committed to eliminating achievement gaps among different student groups by promoting a culture of appreciation for diversity, equity, inclusivity, and social justice, and continuously examining our processes and practices through an equity lens.
The District provides an excellent health and welfare benefits package to its employees. We take care of our employees and have continued to offer medical, dental and vision coverage to eligible employees and their dependents at no charge for any of the plans we offer.
Become a part of this dedicated team in beautiful San Diego County!
Please read the entire job posting before your application is submitted. Important instructions to applicants are at the bottom of the page. Be attentive when applying as many of our positions require multiple attachments.
Please note: each page of the application will save upon clicking ‘next.' Draft applications can be accessed through the candidate home page.
Application Deadline: Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
NOTE: Application materials that are submitted on the last day of application and are timed out will not be accepted.
Department: CERAMICS DEPARTMENT
Location: Grossmont College
Months worked out of the Year: 12 months
Work hours: Monday - Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Hours may vary.
Shift Differential: None
Starting Salary Range: CL-32; $3,842 (Step A) or $4,063 (Step B) Monthly
Based on experience
Anticipated Start Date: July, 2021
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, perform a variety of technical and specialized duties related to the preparation, repair, operation and maintenance of a fine arts laboratory and related areas
Operate and repair a wide variety of specialized equipment related to ceramics including mixers, pugmills, wheels, gas and electric kilns, kiln controllers, relays, kiln elements and hand and power tools; perform repairs and adjustments as needed. Research and document glaze experiments to develop recipes for color, texture and adherence; test glazes using a variety of firing temperatures and techniques. Prepare and maintain various records and reports related to glaze experimentation, inventory, budget, equipment and personnel. Must have knowledge in clay and glaze chemistry, welding, kiln construction and repair.
- Prepare and issue instruments, materials and equipment for
student use; maintain records of materials and equipment used by
- May assist with social media for assigned area. Update website
content for assigned area and coordinate with the appropriate
faculty and staff on content.
- Assist faculty in the use of a variety of equipment, materials
and supplies in the instructional setting; provide assistance to
students according to instructions by faculty
- Prepare instructional materials and equipment for classroom
demonstrations or workshops.
- Assist in coordinating use of lab facilities and assuring the
availability of appropriate supplies and equipment.
- Order, receive and store supplies, materials and equipment;
maintain inventories, assuring that adequate quantities are
available for instructional use.
- Maintain laboratory environment, instructional classrooms and
related areas in a safe, clean, orderly and good working condition;
ensure compliance with established safety procedures and
regulations. Clean and sanitize all technology on a regular basis
to include; CPU's, monitors, keyboards, mice, desks and
- Assist in preparing the annual preliminary budget and maintain
a variety of records and reports related to personnel, inventory
and departmental financial transactions.
- Adjust, maintain and perform minor repair to equipment and/or
instruments; report major repair needs or arrange for repairs
according to established procedures.
- Check and ensure cabling to the workstations are properly
connected and secure. Ensure security of the lab and monitor
condition of tables, chairs, technology and other equipment used in
the area of assignment are in operable and safe condition. Report
damaged or broken technology or furniture to the appropriate
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Recruit, hire, train and provide work direction to student
assistants and hourly personnel as assigned; assign and review
- Maintain currency of qualifications for area of
- Curriculum, goals and objectives of the assigned department.
Instructional program needs of faculty and students
- Safe and proper operation and maintenance of specialized
equipment in field of specialty
- Principles, practices, procedures and equipment typically used
in a college ceramic laboratory.
- Safety regulations and procedures
- Principles and practices of providing work direction and
- Budget preparation and control
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and
- District organization, operations, policies and
- Technical aspects of field of specialty
- Oral and written communications skills
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and
- Computers and related instructional technology
- Software packages utilized in area of assignment
- Perform specialized and technical duties to assure efficient
- Provide technical information and assistance to faculty and
- Assure the care, security and proper storage of assigned
equipment, materials and supplies
- Maintain assigned laboratory equipment in proper working
- Learn district organization, operations, policies and
- Issue and receive equipment and supplies
- Operate and instruct faculty and staff in the use of technical
and specialized equipment if assigned
- Work in conjunction with faculty to; plan and organize work to
meet schedules and time lines
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working
relationships with others
- Maintain records and prepare reports
- Train and provide work direction to hourly workers; assign and
review their work
- Maintain laboratories and studies in a safe, clean and orderly
- Use a computer for various tasks including writing, ordering
supplies, research, and email
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination equivalent to: two years college-level training with specialized course work in specialized area and two years of related experience. Work experience in the use of computer hardware and software troubleshooting for area of assignment.
Fine Arts lab environment; subject to fumes, heat, noise, lifting and exposure to hazardous or toxic chemicals.
* Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS:
Applicants may find it helpful to refer back to the job posting, specifically the special instructions, while applying. Consider saving the job description or opening a new browser window.
*ATTENTION* MATERIALS WITH PICTURES OR PERSONAL INFORMATION WILL RENDER YOUR APPLICATION INCOMPLETE. PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE ANY MATERIALS THAT ARE NOT ASKED FOR.
Having the following materials prepared and ready to attach BEFORE beginning the application may make the application experience more seamless.
POSITION SPECIFIC REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:
1) Complete and current resume
2) 1-2 Page Cover letter addressing SPECIFICALLY how you meet the requirements of the position. Discuss in your cover letter your experience in the ceramics field and how those experiences would transfer to this ceramic technician position.
*ATTENTION* Please upload .doc, .docx, or PDF files. If you are working on Google Docs or Mac files please be sure to save under .doc or PDF for file to upload correctly.
Under Federal Law, employers are required to verify that all new employees are eligible for employment in the United States. Prior to appointment to a position, you must present acceptable proof of your identity and authorization to work in the United States.
GCCCD is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Title IX employer.
Applicants who are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act and who require accommodations for completing the application process or interviewing should notify the Human Resources Department by calling (619) 644-7679.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful fingerprint clearance. A processing fee plus Live Scan fee will be required.
To apply, visit https://gcccd.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gcccdcareers/job/San-Diego-County---Grossmont-College/SPECIALTY-LAB-TECHNICIAN-III---CERAMIC_R-01198.
The Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District, a two-college district in eastern San Diego County, has been providing a high-quality education to the region since Grossmont College opened its doors in 1961 and Cuyamaca College began operating in 1978. The district is tied closely to the suburban and rural communities that it serves, providing a $1 billion economic impact to the region through its payroll, purchasing, and spending by students and alumni.
The district has a strong commitment to diversity and equity with a student population representing a broad variety of backgrounds, ethnicities, socioeconomic levels, cultures and abilities. The district strives to provide an educational environment that fosters cultural awareness, mutual understanding, and respect that ultimately also benefits the global community.
The colleges offer more than 150 degrees and certificates in a wide range of programs. Both colleges have signature programs that have become well-renowned. Grossmont College is recognized for its top-notch Administration of Justice, Culinary Arts, Nursing and Allied Health and Theatre Arts programs, while Cuyamaca is known for its Automotive Technology, Ornamental Horticulture, Environmental Health and Safety and Water/Wastewater Technology programs.