Director of the University Union
Union WELL Inc. is hiring the Director of the University Union. Union WELL Inc. is an auxiliary of California State University, Sacramento and is a California 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation. The corporation consists of the facility operations and programs of two buildings: The University Union and The WELL (Recreation & Wellness Center). The University Union facility, totaling approximately 220,000 square feet, currently houses campus food service operations, retail operations, multiple meeting and conference spaces, Associated Students, Inc., Student Organizations and Leadership offices, Women’s Resource Center, PRIDE Center, KSSU Student Radio, Information Desk, Games Room, Union Gallery, Relaxation Lounge, Student Computer Lounge, Meditation Room, computer and printer workstations throughout the building, a University Police Service Center, two Mothers’ Lounges, the ASI Food Pantry, and various open lounge spaces and food service seating. The WELL (currently undergoing a major renovation and expansion) houses five fitness studios, a cardio suite, an expansive fitness and free weight area, a multi-activity court, four basketball courts, a rock climbing wall, four racquetball courts, an indoor running track, all gender restrooms/ showers/changing rooms, and conference center. The WELL is also home to Student Health and Counseling Services. The facilities provide services to over 31,000 Sacramento State students, as well as faculty and staff.
To view more detail about this position and the University Union, view our employment opportunity announcement.
UEI offers an excellent benefits package which includes:
- Participation in CalPERS Retirement Program
- Paid Vacation Time – starting at 10 hours accrued/month
- Paid Sick Time – 8 hours accrued/month
- Paid Holidays – 13 paid holidays per year including paid time off the week between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day as the CSUS campus is closed plus one personal holiday
- Excellent medical benefits – 100% employer paid medical & dental for employee-only coverage and low cost for family coverage
- Educational assistance
Apply online at https://ueijobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/18111. This position is open until filled with a priority review date of May 14, 2021.
Pay Rate: $5,813 - $8,719 per month
The Director of the University Union is responsible for providing coordination, guidance, and general oversight for the daily operations, services, and programs of the University Union. This includes but is not limited to: the Event Services Office; Building Operations; UNIQUE Programs; the various program service and desk areas of the facility; budget and accounting functions; leases, contracts, space agreements; personnel management; public relations; customer service; and other matters related to the University Union. The Director has responsibility for implementing and maintaining the financial operations, policies, and procedures of the University Union in accordance with the Union WELL Inc. Board of Directors, California State University, Sacramento, and CSU Chancellor’s Office standards. This position is an integral member of the Union WELL Inc. corporate leadership team, represents Union WELL Inc. on appropriate campus committees, and periodically acts on behalf of the Union WELL Inc. Executive Director in their absence.
The Director of the University Union reports to, and receives general direction from, the Union WELL Inc. Executive Director. This position directly manages the Assistant Director of Event Services, Assistant Director of Operations, Assistant Director of Programs and Marketing, and the University Union Administrative Coordinator. Additionally, the position works closely with the Design, Identity and Studio Manager regarding the University Union's permanent art collection and display areas, building graphics and signage, and interior design palette.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides management direction and supervision to the Assistant Director of Event Services in the comprehensive development and daily operation of the University Union’s Event Services operations, including the comprehensive arrangements involved in meeting room and facilities rentals. Responsible for space reservation policy compliance and revenue generation. Develops and oversees the implementation of policy and procedural changes in the reservations process, in consultation with the Board of Directors and the Union WELL Inc. leadership team.
- Provides management direction and supervision to the Assistant Director of Operations in the comprehensive development and daily operation of the University Union’s public spaces and service areas. Responsible for operational policy compliance and revenue generation. Develops and oversees the implementation of policy and procedural changes in building service areas and public spaces, in consultation with the Board of Directors, the University Union Advisory Group, and the Union WELL Inc. leadership team.
- Provides management direction and supervision to the Assistant Director, Programs and Marketing in the comprehensive development and daily operation of the University Union’s activity programs and marketing. Responsible for programs and marketing policies compliance and revenue generation. Develops and oversees the implementation of policy and procedural changes in programs and marketing, in consultation with the Board of Directors, the University Union Advisory Group, and the Union WELL Inc. leadership team.
- Responsible for the University Union’s fiscal accountability, personnel management, collaboration endeavors, public image, and ongoing customer service approach in all departments and service areas. Directly, and through others, provides guidance, coordination, and compliance with all Union WELL Inc., University, Chancellor’s Office, and University Enterprises, Inc. policies and procedures.
- Reviews, approves, and is signatory for contracts, purchase orders, requisitions, personnel and payroll documents, and other corporate documents as appropriate.
- Serves as an active member of the Union WELL Inc. corporate leadership team, along with the Union WELL Inc. Executive Director, Director of Financial Services, Director of IT and Facilities, and the Director of The WELL.
- Establishes and maintains strong working relationships with the Union WELL Inc. Director of IT and Facilities and their staff, to address the University Union's ongoing needs, standards, and service models in the areas of Facility Services (custodial), Information Technology, and Maintenance Services.
- Assesses and coordinates an appropriate space utilization plan for the facility, that considers: planning, leases, construction projects for offices, tenants, and vendor management for the service, program, and public areas in the Union.
- Establishes and utilizes a strong working relationship with the University Union Advisory Group to annually identify and develop a proper strategic direction for the University Union and its service to students and the greater campus community. The Director of the University Union also provides resources and serves as an adviser to the Union WELL Inc. Board of Directors.
- Establishes sound working relationships with individuals, departments, divisions, and groups both on and off campus. These relationships include student leaders, faculty, staff, alumni, Associated Students, University Administration, Student Affairs, academic departments, University Enterprises, Inc., professional colleagues, and community representatives. Solicits and utilizes informed input in the development and evaluations of goals, programs, and services of the University Union.
- Responsible for risk management associated with all programs and operations of the University Union. Consults with Executive Director, insurance representatives, and where applicable, legal counsel retained by Union WELL Inc., and proposes appropriate policies to provide a safe, inclusive environment for all customers.
- Leads the University Union’s annual strategic planning and budgeting effort through a process that is receptive and responsive to both student and staff input regarding facilities, programs, and services in the University Union.
- Prepares regular budget reports and is responsible for meeting revenue and expense criteria as outlined in the corporate budgeting guidelines.
- Represents the University Union on the Campus Life Committee and various other Student Affairs and campus-wide committees and initiatives, as appropriate.
- May deliver presentations and/or working sessions to a variety of audiences including but not limited to the Union WELL Inc. Board of Directors, professional societies and organizations, and campus groups. Responsible for designing and facilitating the presentation.
- Performs other duties to assist the Union WELL Inc. Executive Director, as necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Business, Management, Communication, or other related field.
- Demonstrated progressively responsible professional experience in a large Student Union or similar facility.
- Demonstrated experience in selecting, training, coordinating, evaluating, supervising, and managing a large and diverse workforce, consisting of both full-time professional staff and student assistants.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in both decision making and planning processes. Demonstrated ability to analyze complex situations accurately, adopt effective courses of action, and meet deadlines in a varied and hectic environment.
- Demonstrated experience in the administration and management of a large, non-profit corporation, with demonstrated experience in organizational management, facilities management, personnel management, operating procedures, budget administration, and event promotion/production.
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within an educational environment with a wide and diverse range of social and cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated experience in managing the strategic direction of a large, multifaceted organization.
- Demonstrated experience in establishing management goals, facilitating change, and implementing innovative programs, procedures, and services to meet the ever-changing needs and requests of a large student population.
- Ability to develop, negotiate, and manage all business leases, contracts, and memorandum of understanding with campus partners, the University, vendors, and outside contractors.
- Demonstrated experience with the special demands inherent in a higher education environment and the interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, University administration, students, and the surrounding community.
- Experience working with a non-profit Board of Directors or an Advisory Group.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to compile, prepare, write, and review reports as well as the capacity to analyze, comprehend, and provide appropriate solutions to problems and courses of action.
- Demonstrated experience supervising, advising, developing, and mentoring students.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain a cooperative working relationship with volunteer program committees in the delivery of programs and/or events for a campus community.
- Demonstrated experience in designing and giving presentations to small and large groups.
- Must be legally eligible to drive in California, complete and pass an online training course, maintain a good driving record, and be acceptable for vehicle insurance coverage under the University Enterprises’ insurance plan. Must continue to meet the established driving standards, driving record will be monitored with the California Department of Motor Vehicles to ensure compliance.
- Ability to work evening and/or weekend hours as needed to provide support and supervision to a seven day a week operation.
- Must be fingerprinted and pass a background check. Must continue to meet the established standards.
- Master’s Degree in Higher Education Administration, Business, Organizational Communication, or related field.
- Progressive, upper-level responsibility in the management and oversight of comprehensive student life programs, which include multi-use facilities, within a complex organization.
- Demonstrated commitment to learning and development by motivating, teaching, and working closely with students, student assistants, and professional staff members from across the organization.
- Engaged involvement in professional societies and organizations.