Medical Assistant II
The Department of Medicine - Cardiology section at Baylor College of Medicine is seeking a competent and reliable medical Assistant who is proficient in delivering patient care in a high-paced, ambulatory care setting and general knowledge of medical assistant work. This position performs patient care responsibilities and provides clerical/administrative support in a clinical setting and will be assisting in the overall day to day patient care and clinical operations of the Cardiology clinical practice at McNair Campus. Main Responsibilities include rooming/triaging patients (i.e. pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight and height, EKG, medication reconciliation) and record information on the patient electronic chart using EPIC. Shifts are Monday - Friday.
- Performs routine patient care responsibilities such as taking vital signs, EKGs/ECGs, and POCTs.
- Collects patient history, performs medication reconciliation, and enters information in the electronic medical record.
- Handles chart prep and appointment reminders.
- Notes the primary complaint/reason for patient’s visit.
- Sets up instruments and equipment for physician.
- Assists with procedures as needed.
- Administers medication under direction/order of a supervising physician.
- Instructs patients on general care and medical procedures.
- Maintains patient and service rooms in a neat and orderly condition.
- Schedules patient tests, procedures, and appointments as needed.
- Conducts patient outreach phone calls and post-visit follow-ups as needed.
- Performs clerical/administrative responsibilities such as filing and/or scanning patient medical records, obtaining lab/x-ray reports, hospital notes, and referral information.
- Sorts and distributes clinic mail and medical records to the appropriate clinic personnel.
- Initiates prior authorization for medications and processing faxes.
- Performs EKG placement of Holter Monitor/Event Monitor for patients
- High school diploma or GED and completion of a Medical Assistant Training program through an accredited institution.
- Two years of relevant experience.
- Current certification as a Medical Assistant through an accredited professional organization (AAMA, AMT, ARMA, NCCT, NAHP, NHA, NAHP, AMCA, or NRMA).
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.