Assistant Director - Professional Development and Experiential Programs
Career and Professional Development (CPD) is a centralized office of 28 staff dedicated to educating and supporting students as they explore and choose academic majors and career options, obtain and reflect upon career-related experiences, develop professional presence and essential skills for workplace success, and launch post-graduation career plans, including graduate/professional school and employment. CPD is focusing on strategic initiatives around experiential learning that support the university’s efforts to provide guided learning opportunities to all undergraduate students at Virginia Tech. Now is an exciting time to join CPD if you are passionate about experiential learning and professional development, creative, adaptable, an energetic and a collaborative team player, and are looking to help build new experiential programs for students.
The Assistant Director will develop, coordinate, and execute professional development programs and key experiential learning programs managed by Career and Professional Development (CPD). These programs include a Cooperative Education and Internship Program (CEIP), a campus internship program, a local internship program, and micro-internship opportunities, as well as a portfolio of professional development programs and events. The Assistant Director will promote experiential learning opportunities and embed professional competencies for career readiness into programs.
Additionally, the Assistant Director will support the career development of students through advising and delivering presentations on experiential learning and professional development topics and consult with faculty and staff on best practices for internships. Team members also work with employers to understand the breadth and depth of experiential and post-graduation opportunities available for students.
- Coordinate experiential learning and professional development programs, including program logistics, marketing, course administration, student engagement, and program assessment
- Serve as an instructor for zero-credit cooperative education and internship course
- Advise and coach students seeking internship and experiential learning opportunities on job searching strategies including resume development, interviewing, and professional preparation
- Engage and communicate with students and supervisors enrolled in experiential programs
- Build relationships with faculty, staff, and employers to promote experiential learning and professional development opportunities for students
- Consult with faculty, staff, and employers on internship and/or cooperative education best practices
- Develop and deliver presentations and workshops relevant to experiential learning and professional development
•Master’s degree in Higher Education Administration, Student Affairs, Counseling, or related field.
•Strong interpersonal, communication, and team skills.
•Commitment to innovation and collaboration.
•Exceptional project management skills such as organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to adapt to new and changing situations.
•Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment.
•Demonstrated ability to foster relationships among a diverse range of constituents including; students, faculty, staff, administrators, and employers.
•Significant experience providing career advising/coaching within a college/university setting.
•Experience working with internship, cooperative education, and experiential learning programs.
•Familiarity with experiential learning theory and implementing learning and reflection processes.
•Experience teaching/facilitating courses, developing course content, and/or program assessment.
•Knowledge of CliftonStrengths.
•Experience with management platforms such as Handshake, Simplicity, Canvas, Salesforce, etc.
$45,000 - $51,000
May 7, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Amy McPherson at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: April 15, 2021
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Cooperative & Experiential Education Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Curriculum & Instructional Development Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Other Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg