Senior Accountant for Business Operations
We are encouraging applications for a dynamic financial professional to further LASP’s science mission by providing accounting support for LASP’s internal operations. This professional will have a technology-first approach to solving problems and optimizing processes. Duties include research, selection, and compilation of financial data from multiple sources, such as; production, accounting, vendors, and subsequent analysis of that data to produce business information used to support decisions. Data are often difficult to acquire and may be diluted with unnecessary data points. Identify questionable data and may then direct others in verifying the accuracy of data. Provide and present an executive summary of data results in a simplified understandable outline. Provides work leadership and direction to other professional and clerical staff with respect to project approach and identification of project tasks. Decisions may impact the effectiveness and efficiency of administrative and business processes.
The Senior Accountant position exists to provide accounting expertise, internal controls, guidance, and interpretation of CU’s fiscal policies and procedures. This position is assigned accounting and administrative responsibilities for one or more areas. This position also specializes in assigned Fund groups and serves LASP’s needs by accurately recording, classifying, balancing, correcting, and querying transactions. This position supports a range of core Business Operations activities including the development of the annual budget, monitoring activities of assigned funds and accounts, as well as certain Fiscal year-end closeout activities.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP) develops, designs, and builds instruments and spacecraft for space-based observations of the Sun, Earth, and planets. LASP has built instruments and participated in missions to every planet in the solar system. LASP manages the financial aspects for over 170 active grants and contracts, from proposal through the award.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Function as the Senior Internal Operations Accountant. This includes working closely with Discipline Management, Scientists, and other project partners to provide financial and budget data, track costs, make corrections as needed, and advise on financial matters.
- Perform work of varied and considerable difficulty requiring sophisticated data collection, analysis, reconciliation, and compiling and writing reports. Apply knowledge of accounting principles, auditing standards, budgeting principles, public administration, and/or legal and regulatory compliance.
- Manage financial tools vital to support sponsored project activity (e.g., detail of financial transactions, account maintenance, travel expense review, year-end accruals).Assist with the fiscal year-end closing process.
- Assist with the preparation of service center rate calculations.
- Assist with the annual LASP budget process to ensure data collection and inputs are accurate and reflect the controls established by the Executive Associate Director (EAD).
- Produce monthly financial reports for LASP internal budget groups (e.g., LASP Faculty Start-up Funding, internal research and development owners, LASP’s proposal support funding).
- Provide services to LASP personnel on the identification and investigation of current accounting issues; the development of accounting methods and business processes; the implementation of accounting-related projects; and the facilitation of accounting opportunities and solutions.
- Develop, interpret, and/or evaluate compliance with established policies and procedures.
- May impact policy and budget decisions at the department and lab levels.
- Work independently or as a team member within existing guidelines and policies.
- Provide peer assistance in specialty areas or serves as a leader for a team or small work unit.
- May conduct special financial and business-related studies and cooperates with other departments in the preparation of analyses.
- Proactively seek opportunities for professional development and training for self/unit and develop new skills.
- Other duties as assigned to facilitate financial continuity at LASP.
What You Should Know
Due to export control restrictions only US persons (US citizens, US lawful permanent residents), or asylees/refugees under specific Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA) amnesty provisions may apply.
What We Can Offer
Salary Range is $81,500 to $95,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Entrepreneurial. Be Resourceful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
- Four years of professional accounting experience.
What You Will Need
- Experience with report development and data analysis in an ERP financial application environment.
- Demonstrated ability to research, investigate, analyze, reconcile, and evaluate data.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- Outstanding organizational skills with the ability to multi-task while under pressure.
- Proven ability as a collaborator and problem solver with all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated experience working with complex data sets and reporting systems.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Knowledge of University and state accounting and fiscal rules, policies and procedures.
- Fund accounting experience.
- Experience with interpreting and implementing government accounting standards.
- Understanding of Business Analytics and Business Intelligence / Power BI.
- Understanding of PeopleSoft, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Access.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu