Professional Research Assistant
The Molecular Neurogenetics Laboratory at the University of Colorado’s Institute for Behavioral Genetics is encouraging applications for a Professional Research Assistant. The PRA will be part of a research team that is studying the molecular, genetic and physiological basis of nicotine addiction. The main responsibility of the PRA will be to assist with an ongoing project designed to map genes that influence nicotine consumption in mice.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Stitzel laboratory utilizes mouse genetic models and in vitro approaches to understand the molecular and physiological mechanisms leading to nicotine dependence and co-morbid psychiatric conditions such as schizophrenia and ADHD. Current studies include:
- identifying novel genes that influence nicotine consumption
- determining the functional consequence and mechanism of action of genetic variants known to impact the risk for nicotine dependence
- establishing mechanisms through which nicotine exposure in utero increases the offspring’s risk for nicotine dependence, ADHD and other neuropsychiatric conditions and
- understanding the mechanisms through which nicotine withdrawal disrupts sleep and how this information can lead to better treatments for smoking cessation.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Major responsibilities will be to assist with behavioral testing of mice, preparation of materials needed for the project, collection of tissue samples, and data entry. Individual will also be expected to contribute to routine lab maintenance.
What You Should Know
- This position will be for a 75% or higher FTE.
- Must be available to work mornings Monday through Friday and a few hours occasionally on the weekend.
What We Can Offer
Starting Salary is $33,280/year.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Adaptable. Be Proactive. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology or related field.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Previous experience working with mice, strong organizational skills and detail-oriented.
- Ability to work independently once trained.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
- One Letter of Recommendation (not confidential) dated within the last 2 years
Review of applications will begin on Wednesday, April 21, 2021
Note: Applications materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Jerry Stitzel
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder