Director of Human Resources
University Code 23341 University Title HR Business Partner 1 University Job Family Human Resources ORP Eligible Yes For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Single Title Scope of Search Regional Working Title Director of Human Resources Position Number FAD640 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Athletics Office Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
The VCU Department of Athletics is searching for a collaborative and experienced HR Professional responsible for providing operational execution of human resources services. This position reports directly to the Sr. Associate Director of Athletics for Administration/ CDO and serves as a trusted advisor for employees, managers and senior leadership. As a true business partner, the HR Professional is responsible for mastering an understanding of VCU Athletics’ overall mission and executing a human resources function in support of those goals as well as the University’s service delivery model.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
• Provide leadership and guidance on HR issues and participate in the decision-making and implementation of HR policies, procedures, programs and functions;
• Provide advice and guidance on complex and confidential matters including contract development and execution; performance management; and employee relations issues;
• Identify organizational needs of the VCU Athletics and plan, resource, and execute programs and strategies to address areas identified either directly or through strategic partnerships and collaboration with experts across the University;
• Identify, plan and execute process improvement projects to increase efficiency and effectiveness of HR programs;
• Facilitate training sessions to support the needs of assigned service areas;
• Make recommendations on, initiate, and finalize HR actions around position management (revisions and establishments), staff compensation, and employment (postings, hiring proposals, new hire onboarding);
• Participate in the HR community by attending HR Professional Committee meetings, career community events and VCU HR trainings for HR Professionals;
• Participate in special projects as identified in support of Athletics and VCU’s Great Place policy and University service delivery model.
• Work collaboratively with the Director of Employee & Student-Athlete Services, serving as a back-up for the administration of various student-athlete support services.
The Director of Human Resources must demonstrate a passion for supporting individuals in a diverse academic environment, have the ability to drive diversity and inclusion efforts, and create and sustain a culture of appreciation. The Director of Human Resources must also possess strong consultative skills with a proven ability to develop relationships and build partnerships with internal teams and stakeholders in a diverse organization.
Minimum Hiring Standards
Successful candidates will possess:
• Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university in business administration, management, public administration, human resources or related field and significant progressive HR experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience;
• Considerable experience working in a HR position advising, guiding and consulting with senior leaders, managers and employees;
• Proven ability to develop relationships and build partnerships with internal teams and stakeholders in a diverse organization;
• Demonstrated ability to use critical thinking skills to problem solve and develop solutions;
• Broad and deep HR technical expertise in all facets of HR including employment and recruiting, compensation, performance management, employee relations, etc.;
• Proven ability to influence, guide, direct and consult with HR professionals and leadership;
• Ability to translate changing business objectives to effective HR strategies;
• Demonstrated ability to interpret, explain and apply HR policies, state and federal regulations and protocols;
• Strong facilitation abilities (large and small group);
• Outstanding customer service skills and a high degree of professionalism;
• Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with all individuals within a diverse community;
• Resourcefulness with the ability to adapt to change and ambiguity;
• Familiarity with change management philosophy and strategies;
• Ability to exercise strong attention to detail in a fast-paced environment and to set/meet deadlines, organize workload and juggle changing priorities;
• Demonstrated ability to handle confidential and sensitive information appropriately and with discretion;
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and HR Information systems;
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or the commitment to do so at VCU .
Preferred Hiring Standards
Preferred hiring standards include:
• An advanced degree or training and work experience at a level that equates to an advanced degree;
• Five (5) years of progressive human resources experience in a university setting;
• PHR / SPHR and/or SHRM -CP/ SHRM - SCP certification; and
• Previous experience working within an intercollegiate athletics department is a plus.
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range $70,000 - $75,000 Application Process/Additional Information
This position is open until filled but has a priority application deadline of Friday, April 30.
Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40 + Normal Work Days/Hours Monday-Friday/8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Job Open Date 04/15/2021 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/105171 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Every member of the university community has a stake in and
responsibility for VCU’s continual achievement of inclusive
excellence. Please share your past contributions toward promoting
equity, diversity and inclusion. Through this statement, you can
share how your lived and professional experiences will impact your
commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment at
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have Human Resources experience in a higher education
- * Do you have experience performing human resources functions
within a University Athletics Department?
- * Do you hold a HR Certification (PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, and/or
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree in a field relevant to this
- Enrolled, no degree
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Business Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond