Director, Faculty Commons
Requested Start Date:
June 1, 2021
Normal Work Schedule:
8:00 am - 4:30 pm Monday - Friday, some evenings and weekends
The Director of the Turner Faculty Commons provides leadership, vision, and operational oversight of all campus-wide faculty development initiatives, with primary focus on the continuous improvement of teaching and learning. This individual is directly responsible for facilitating strategies, services, and support for faculty and instructional staff that promote (a) effective teaching practices, (b) career success, and (c) the development of academic administrative and leadership skills. This position reports to the Vice Provost within the Division of Academic Affairs.
About the Faculty Commons: Established in the spring of 2014, the Rebecca O. Turner Faculty Commons is JSU's Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning. The Turner Faculty Commons provides a full range of training and professional development opportunities for members of the JSU faculty. Additionally, in collaboration with Online@JSU, the Faculty Commons supports faculty use of technology and online course design and delivery.
· Establishes and assesses goals, objectives and operating procedures for the Faculty Commons.
· Oversees and participates in educational/training activities of the Faculty Commons, including designing and scheduling workshops, classes, one-on-one consulting, and other professional development efforts.
· Serves as a liaison with other units in Academic Affairs on matters associated with faculty development, instructional technology, or learning spaces.
· Oversees all equipment and facilities associated with the Faculty Commons.
· Promotes widespread use of Faculty Commons and Teaching, Learning & Technology materials, resources, and services.
· Maintains an accurate inventory of resources and learning spaces under the Faculty Commons’ purview.
· Manages the Faculty Commons’ budget.
· Manages course evaluation processes and procedures (EvaluationKIT).
· Manages annual faculty activity reporting system (Digital Measures: Activity Insight).
· Organizes and oversees faculty recognition events including the Annual Faculty Awards Ceremony.
· Maintains a professional environment in the Faculty Commons and for all Faculty Commons-related activities.
· Evaluates and prioritizes the work of the Faculty Commons’ activities.
· Uses annual assessment data to make informed decisions and to create an action plan for the Faculty Commons.
· Participates in relevant professional development opportunities.
· Maintains open communication with the administration and faculty on professional development matters.
· Performs other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
· Master’s degree
· Significant college-level teaching experience
· Earned doctorate or terminal degree within an academic discipline taught at JSU
· Experience as a tenure-track faculty member
· Strong knowledge of theories and practices of college teaching and learning
1. Cover Letter
Clery Notice: In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, https://clerycenter.org/policy-resources/the-clery-act/ the Jacksonville State University Police provide information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three calendar years. The JSU Annual Campus Security and Fire Report is available online at: http://jsu.edu/police/docs/CleryAnnualReport.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity: JSU is an Equal Employment, Equal Opportunity, and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.