LEARNING DESIGN LEAD, UPSKILLING
Learning Design Lead, Upskilling
Arizona State University
The Learning Design Lead, Upskilling role in ASU’s Learning Enterprise will imagine, design and develop revolutionary new online courses. Upskilling courses will teach learners the professional and technical skills to succeed in the jobs of today and the future. In this role, you will leverage new design techniques and technologies to deliver ASU courses at scale to a diverse set of learners. Courses will leverage modern pedagogical theory including self-paced learning, project-based learning, and adaptive elements. This role will interact with top ASU faculty and external partners pushing the boundaries of course design and student learning. In addition, this role will be responsible for coordinating Upskilling course development, managing academic partnerships and external subject matter experts, project planning, and managing vendor contracts.
ASU has an incredible foundation of university faculty expertise, high-quality degree programs, an expansive alumni network, and corporate connections from which to build and scale Upskilling programs.
$75,000 - $95,000 per year; DOE
As the Upskilling Learning Design Lead, your most important responsibilities will be to:
- Develop innovative, high quality, scaleable courses: As an independent contributor and team lead, you will work with an interdisciplinary team of subject matter experts (internal and external) and teammates to build engaging, rigorous, skills-based courses. You think outside the box and are open to new ways of developing scalable online education in a personalized way. You demonstrate project management skills in the development of digital content for online courses, with a capacity to scope realistic projects, meet timeframes, and deliver outcomes.
- Manage Partnerships: Building collaborative relationships with people from various teams and backgrounds is your strong suit. You are able to create a foundation of trust that will stimulate innovative ideas and new ways of thinking about online education. You will have opportunities to manage external ID providers, providing direction to achieve timely delivery of programs.
- Strategic framework, planning and design:You are part of an exciting movement to create new ways of building courses in alignment with the pedagogy envisioned within the Learning Enterprise. We encourage you to work outside of traditional boundaries, and you have the opportunity to define the best ways to build courses for maximum impact and scalability.
- Research new tools and technologies for teaching:You will explore new technologies and tools, in collaboration with the product management team, to build engaging, effective learning, and financially viable experiences for Upskilling learners.
Master's degree in Educational Technology or a related field AND three (3) years experience providing educational technology development services, one of which includes management responsibilities; OR, Doctorate degree in Educational Technology or a related field AND one (1) year of experience in providing educational technology development services; OR, Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- We are looking for a proven learning designer who has demonstrated the ability to design courses for scale and to guide a small team of design specialists.
- Experience working with an enterprise Learning Management System (LMS) is required for this role.
- We also seek a candidate with a demonstrated commitment to mapping course content and assessments to clearly defined learning objectives.
- Experience with Project Based Learning (PBL) and other active learning techniques are also beneficial. Innovation is central to the Learning Enterprise culture.
- We seek designers who want to push the limits and explore new teaching modalities.
- Five years of background designing online courses, course platform technology experience, and managing the course development process.
- Experience in using effective editing, writing, and communication skills.
- You need to be able to work independently as an individual contributor capable of driving your own work product.
- Managed strategic course design processes in high school or higher education and have a strong foundation in applying learning theories to the practice of online course design.
- You are able to evaluate educational technologies and implement various tools to support online learning.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding, and manipulating a computer mouse
- Required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work.
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions.
We believe that the rigid and linear design of traditional higher education is neither an effective ladder to social and economic opportunity for all learners nor is it responsive to rapidly evolving workforce needs. One of the emerging strategies for ASU is the creation of Learning Enterprise (LE). LE is a newly created entity within ASU designed to re-imagine the role of universities in society and evolve the way that learning offerings are designed to meet learner needs and employer demands. These products (LE’s learning offerings) will be tech-enabled and outcomes-driven solutions that are stackable, accessible, and evidence-based — designed with employer and academic buy-in. LE will currently focus on the following learner segments: K-12, Bridge, Upskilling, and Enrichment Learning. We are guided by the belief that everyone should have universal access to education and opportunity. At every stage of life.
We are resilient and undaunted by challenges. We remain undeterred by challenges that stand in the way of moving our vision forward. If we fall, we get up, over and over again. If it doesn’t exist, we create it. If something doesn’t work, we try something else.
We strive to be better for ourselves, for each other and for our learners. We are not defeated or guided by the status quo. We hold each other to high expectations because our learners depend on us for their future success. We believe that there is always an opportunity to grow and improve; to be and do more. We see what could be and relentlessly pursue it.
We know our intentional mindset towards every detail of our work will determine our success. We see the big picture and concurrently take pride in the daily tasks before us — building “brick by brick” to achieve our long-term vision. We will manifest a transformed future for lifelong learning, by designing systems and infrastructure that will live on.
Leaders from the Head and Heart.
We deeply care about people and their well-being. Everyone at Learning Enterprise is unconditionally supported. We believe in human potential and invest in continuous growth.
We share ideas and feedback at all levels. We have strong opinions loosely held and intentionally engage in debate. We strive for clarity through direct and honest communication. We know our work is better for it.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 80,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/relocation-services.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
To apply please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs/ see Req Id# 66772BR or go directly to: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?partnerid=25620&siteid=5494&PageType=JobDetails&jobid=4216013