Senior Research Scientist
Senior Research Scientist
North Carolina Institute for Climate Studies Office of Research and Innovation
North Carolina State University Position 00108336
The North Carolina Institute for Climate Studies (NCICS) is a UNC inter-institutional research institute promoting the discovery of new knowledge about global, regional, and local climate variability and its impacts, and providing information that is critical for determining trends and validating climate forecasts at all these spatial scales.
NCICS’s principal activity is the operation of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Satellite Earth System Studies in North Carolina (CISESS NC). CISESS’s primary objective is to document the natural atmosphere–ocean– land-biosphere components of the Earth system and how they interact with human activities as a coupled system through collaborative and transformative research activities and to transition that research into operational applications that produce societal benefits.
To learn more about our institute, please visit: https://ncics.org/
The Senior Research Scientist will provide innovative scientific contributions to the Institute in two climate science project areas. The first project will develop a rapid response capability to evaluate the causes of extreme climate events in collaboration with several NOAA agencies. The second project provides foundational climate science support for the sustained National Climate Assessment. For these projects, the Senior Research Scientist will work with the Assessment Lead Scientist to develop and test algorithms and high-quality climate data records and climate information products consistent with project deliverables, the Institute’s scientific goals, and data quality requirements.
The Senior Research Scientist will also serve as a science leader within the Institute on climate research topics and will be expected to develop proposals for extramural funding. The Senior Research Scientist may be required to supervise a small research group. A joint research faculty (non-tenured) appointment within the Marine, Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences Department is possible if departmental qualifications are met.
The Senior Research Scientist will participate in the development and testing of prototype systems that leverage capabilities to conduct objective, quantitative assessments of the causes for extreme events having high impacts on the United States, and will provide scientific input for the development of climate data analysis products for the National Climate Assessment and will be responsible for developing, designing, and conducting complex research activities for multiple mid- and large-sized research projects.
- PhD in meteorology, atmospheric or environmental sciences, mathematics, engineering, physical science, or related field.
The successful candidate should possess the following:
- Five or more years of formal post-degree professional experience working with in situ climate-related observations and global and downscaled climate model data
- Three or more years of experience working in a supervisory capacity in laboratory or academic environment
- Five years of experience with UNIX/Linux systems, including high-performance environments
- At least 10 peer-reviewed publications in climate science or a related area
- Demonstrated success in obtaining competitive grants, mentoring students and research staff, and working in an interdisciplinary environment
- Strong computer literacy with a background in statistics and data analysis.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and supervisory skills
- Ability to work independently and make positive team contributions
- Ability to multitask and meet strict deadlines
The following skills are preferred, but not required:
- Research experience with the methods of climate change attribution
- Participation in a national or international assessment team (e.g., Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, U.S. Global Change Research Program assessments)
- Four or more years of experience performing and/or analyzing global or regional climate model simulations
- Experience with observational meteorological data analysis, e.g., surface, upper air, satellite data, etc.
- Leadership of a sustained climate research program/group
- At least 15 peer-reviewed publications in climate science or a related area
- Demonstrated experience developing a variety of climate model diagnostics and intercomparisons products
- Familiarity with NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information
- Occasional overnight business travel may be required
Why you should apply:
Our team and NC State University embody a culture that values collaboration, creativity, innovation, diversity, and teamwork. NC State University provides a work/life balance, a team-oriented culture, and work that makes a difference in our community.
All applications must be submitted online through the NC State employment website. To view the full job description, posting, application instructions, and to submit an application please visit: https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/139791
If you have questions about this position, please contact Erika Wagner at firstname.lastname@example.org
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515- 2135 or email@example.com. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call (919) 515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Non-Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Raleigh
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Non-Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Raleigh
- Geology & Earth Sciences Non-Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Raleigh
- Other Science & Technology Non-Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Raleigh