Part-Time Counselor/Multicultural Specialist
Part-Time Counselor/Multicultural Specialist
Department: Counseling Services
Location: Wellesley Hills/Framingham
MassBay fosters educational excellence and academic success to prepare students for local and global citizenship, to meet critical workforce demands of communities, and to contribute to the region’s economic development.
Massachusetts Bay Community College values diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply to join our community.
Located in Greater Boston, MassBay is a comprehensive, open-access community college, offering associate degrees and certificate programs on three campuses in Wellesley Hills, Framingham, and Ashland, Massachusetts.
The ideal candidate will join a vibrant and inclusive educational community, and have a desire and ability to work with a diverse population.
This position is available July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2022 with the possibility of continuation. This is an 18 hour per week position that provides mental health counseling services to students, consultation to faculty/staff/parents, support and therapy groups, and educational programming. This position provides direct outreach to underrepresented student populations and supports students of color through counseling, support and therapy groups, and educational programming. There may be a need for some evening and weekend hours for programming to maximize student participation.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
• Provide direct outreach to underrepresented student populations and support students of color through counseling, support/therapy groups, and educational programming;
• Provide culturally-informed clinical mental health assessment, treatment, crisis intervention, and referrals for student-clients;
• Act as a liaison for Counseling Services to the MassBay Students of Color program and the MassBay Student Success Initiative;
• Coordinate multicultural programming;
• Support students of color affinity groups;
• Document confidential assessment and treatment notes in an electronic health record;
• Provide consultation to faculty, staff, and parents on student mental health needs;
• Attend and contribute to individual supervision meetings and clinical meetings;
• Contribute to a weekly departmental staff and group supervision meetings;
Commitment to Equity:
• Support MassBay’s commitment to the Equity Agenda; collaborating with faculty, staff, and students on the College’s strategic initiatives dedicated to closing the equity gap related to student outcomes;
• Support MassBay’s commitment to being anti-racist; embracing a community free of bias and inequality;
• Engage in departmental systems and policy review with a critical lens toward equity, accessibility, inclusion, and universal design;
• Refine and deliver counseling practice that is culturally responsive and reflective of inclusive perspectives;
• Engage in conversations with colleagues and students and offer best practices within the profession of counseling as it relates to equity and inclusion;
• Consult and collaborate, as appropriate, with staff from the Academic Achievement Center, IT, Financial Aid, Enrollment Center, Admissions, Student Development, and Academic and Transfer Advising, as well as faculty and Academic Deans, and assist students in navigating and utilizing appropriate resources at the college;
• Represent the department or the division for campus, college and community activities;
This list is not to be considered all-inclusive. A supervisor may assign other duties as required to meet the needs and foster the mission of the College.
All employees of MassBay are expected to work collegially and collaboratively within a community that values and celebrates diversity.
• Master’s Degree in Counseling, Social Work, Psychology, or closely related field;
• Hold a current license to provide independent psychotherapy in Massachusetts;
• Experience working in a diverse environment;
• Demonstrated ability to work with underserved students;
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with English language learners, adult learners, and students who need support with college-level coursework.
• Bi-lingual in Spanish, Portuguese, and/or Haitian-Creole;
Salary Range: $35.00 - 35.00 Hourly Wage
Classification Type: Temporary Employee, July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2022 with the possibility of continuation.
Application Deadline: April 27, 2021, or thereafter until filled.
Hiring is subject to state appropriation funding.
Final candidates are required to provide sealed transcripts and/or certifications.
Hiring is contingent upon a successful CORI clearance.
Massachusetts Bay Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran or military status, genetic information, gender identity, or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or sexual violence shall be referred to the College’s for Affirmative Action and/or Title IX Coordinator, Lisa MacDonald, Director of Equity Compliance, firstname.lastname@example.org, (781) 239-3147, the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights.