Food Service Stores Laborer - CREATING POOL OF APPLICANTS FOR ANTICIPATED OPENINGS
Employees in these positions perform and/or coordinate work involved in the cleaning of dishes and kitchen utensils in a food service unit and may assist with the preparation and serving of food. They also perform and/or coordinate other heavy labor in the food service area and may be involved in the storage of food or kitchen equipment. Maintaining safe and sanitary conditions of all work areas, including kitchens, storerooms and refrigerators, is one of the primary responsibilities for employees in this series.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
Employees in positions allocated to this level perform complex sanitation duties in a food service area.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
1. One year of experience in the food service industry (may include sanitation and/or storekeeping duties), such as in a restaurant or cafeteria setting
2. Food Handlers Certificate or Food Service Manager Certification required within 30 days of hire
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
1. Knowledge of use and operation of cleaning solutions and equipment
2. Knowledge of food sanitation methods
3. Ability to move heavy objects
4. Ability and willingness to follow instructions
5. Basic mechanical ability
6. Basic math and reading skills
Minimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly)
$12.63 per hour (rate will increase according to the collective bargaining agreement)
Hiring Rate Information
Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
- This posting is a POOL posting, created to build a referral register for future opportunities.
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from email@example.com and CivilServiceTesting@niu.edu . Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE SCHEDULED TO COME TO THE NIU DEKALB CAMPUS TO TAKE A STATE UNIVERSITIES CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION . At the time of testing, you will be required to present a photo ID. NOTE : If you have previously tested for this classification and wish to rewrite the exam to improve your score and register position, please contact the Civil Service Testing Office by the posting deadline.
- Required documentation noted in the posting such as driver’s license, licensures, or certifications MUST be presented at the time of examination.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- Click on Food Service Stores Laborer for more information including typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Click on Collective Bargaining Agreement, AFSCME 963 for more information on the collective bargaining agreement.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Link to Department Homepage
Civil Service Pool Positions
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form . For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education ( AAEOE ) at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Have you attached a copy of your DD214, DD215, NGB22, or DD256
for consideration of Veteran's Preference Points? The copy
submitted should reflect the status of discharge in order to be
- Not Applicable
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Military Discharge Documents ONLY (DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256)
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Vocational & Technical Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb