University Code 10211 University Title Academic Advisor 1 University Job Family Academic & Faculty Affairs ORP Eligible Yes For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Single Title Scope of Search Regional Working Title Academic Advisor Position Number FA2770 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Undergraduate Studies Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
We are looking to have a great employee join the Office of Undergraduate Studies within the School of Business as an Academic Advisor.
Academic Advisors provide general academic advising services to students and advising-based perspectives to University colleagues and public stakeholders, such as
students, family-members and prospective students. By integrating interpersonal and
communication skills with general knowledge of curricula, policies (departmental, collegiate, and University), resources, and student development, advisors help student identify options, set academic and developmental goals, and make progress toward those goals.
Advisors participate in programs and initiatives that facilitate student engagement, success, and retention. Advisors also provide advising data and collaborate with academic and other University operational units on matters that impact student recruitment, success, and retention.
Examples of the Kinds of Professional Judgment the Position Must Exercise.
- Understand role of advising in supporting the mission of VCU .
- Possess general information concerning the academic and demographic profiles
of VCU students, including retention data.
- Understand curricula information (including program of study and general
education requirements) for area of advising specialization.
- Understand graduation requirements and graduation application procedures.
- Understand academic regulations, procedures, and deadlines.
- Know the required courses (including prerequisite information) for area of
- Understand VCU transfer policies and procedures.
- Understand Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements for financial aid.
- Be Knowledgeable of VCU student resources (e.g., University Counseling,
Disability Support Services, Career Center, Financial Aid).
- Know when and how to make appropriate referrals to other university resources.
- Know about resources of the National Academic Advising Association
( NACADA ).
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to ask searching questions and practice active listening.
- Ability to work with a variety of student populations in a diverse community.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals.
- Ability to manage time and establish priorities.
- Ability to make appropriate recommendations based on
logical and justifiable reasoning.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Foster a welcoming and supportive environment for students.
- Foster a cooperative work environment with supervisor and colleagues.
- Manage and maintain accurate records and databases.
- Ability to interpret and effectively use advising information on eServices,
DegreeWorks, and the Navigate advising tool.
- Ability to use personal computers and related software applications.
- Ability to navigate VCU website to locate advising information (e.g., course
information, bulletins, forms, etc).
Minimum Hiring Standards
- Master’s level degree from an accredited institution.
- One year of professional work experience in a college or university setting.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a university employee at VCU
Preferred Hiring Standards
Demonstrated experience providing academic, career, or individualized counseling in a
higher education setting.
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range $38,000 to $43,000 Application Process/Additional Information Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40 hrs/week Normal Work Days/Hours Monday - Friday Job Open Date 04/14/2021 Posting will close on or before 05/03/2021 Open Until Filled No Job Category Administrative/ Secretarial/ Clerical Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/105042 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have at least one year of professional experience in a
college or university setting?
- * Please provide your academic advising philosophy.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Academic Administration Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Other Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Student Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond