Associate Vice Provost for Innovation and Online Learning
The University of Montana invites applications for an Associate Vice Provost for Innovation and Online Learning . Reporting to the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs, the AVP for Innovation and Online Learning is responsible for developing and leading online education at the University of Montana (UM), ensuring the delivery of high quality and innovative online education for traditional and non-traditional courses and programs, and broadening the audiences of learners for innovative UM educational offerings.
The person assigned to this role will be responsible for growing UM’s portfolio of high-quality online courses, certificate offerings, other credential programs, and degree programs. This position will collaborate with various stakeholders across the institution and the Montana University System to evaluate online and blended learning opportunities and drive all processes to expand and enhance educational opportunities. This position will also lead wide-ranging planning efforts to develop short, mid, and long-term goals for developing a variety of online programs aimed at diverse audiences of learners.
The individual assigned to this position will work closely with the UMOnline Instructional Design Manager and the Online Education Manager, as well as UM IT’s Executive Director of Enterprise Technology and Executive Director of Client Services. This position will provide strategic leadership, leveraging considerable existing expertise in instructional design, online pedagogy, and operational implementation, and will coordinate internal and external promotion and marketing of UM’s online portfolio.
This position will direct operations of online delivery at UM, including budget and personnel management, ensuring the effective allocation of resources and achievement of goals designed for growing UM’s online offerings. The position will be highly visible on campus, and requires a highly developed set of interpersonal communication skills to encourage collaboration and innovation in the development and administration of online education. The person assigned to this position will coordinate with partners on campus who are providing continuing education, workforce development, and lifelong learning opportunities. Over time, it is expected that the person in this role will assume oversight for more of these initiatives.
The following duties and responsibilities are expected of this position:
- Providing innovative leadership and vision to drive significant expansion of the University of Montana’s online portfolio, meeting the needs of a wide range of learners in Montana, regionally, and globally.
- Developing and implementing strategies that position UM for a scalable and financially sustainable online portfolio that leverages the unique strengths of its units and faculty.
- Providing strategic leadership, leverage in-house expertise in instructional design, online pedagogy, accessibility, and operational implementation, and coordinate internal and external promotion and marketing of UM’s online portfolio.
- Directing all facets of online delivery at UM, including administrative oversight, management, strategic planning, budgeting, operations, and data collection and assessment for the full scope of UM’s online education.
- Working in coordination with UMOnline Instructional Design Manager to continuously advocate for the importance of the role of instructional design and promote these services for improving the quality of online course design, faculty support, and technology.
- Coordinating with appropriate online program management provider(s) and MOOCs (e.g., Wiley and FutureLearn)
- Growing stackable credentials opportunities, including non-credit to credit pathways, and microcredentials
- Overseeing compliance with State Authorization and Professional Licensure requirements
- Developing market-driven content, including industry partnerships and scalable and accessible degrees
- Collaborating with units across campus, community stakeholders, the Montana University System, and online education partners around the country and globally to expand online and new learner initiatives.
- Working with campus and external partners to create and implement robust marketing and communication strategies.
- Evaluating emerging opportunities for innovation in online and blended learning for implementation at UM.
- Ensure that online education efforts work congruently with UM’s stated purposes and goals.
- Managing the data analysis and reporting functions.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its essential values of innovation and creativity, impact, openness, and partnership.
- Position is full-time, 1.0 FTE, MUS Contract and includes a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
- Salary for this position is $110,000 to $130,000 commensurate with qualifications.
Required Education and Skills
- Baccalaureate degree in a related field
- Experience developing, implementing and assessing effectiveness of online programs and initiatives
- Experience developing online courses and programs that are ADA and 508 compliant
- Experience in strategic planning and implementation for online portfolio growth
- Experience in online higher education administration, organization, and budgets
- Experience working with online program management providers
- Excellent communication skills, written, verbal, and interpersonal
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and productively with faculty and academic program leadership, fostering and developing working relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders throughout the academic community
- Strong administrative, personnel and budget management, organization and project management skills
- Knowledge of emerging technologies, standards and their applications to online education
- Knowledge of issues and challenges of online learning for students and faculty
- Master’s Degree in a related field
- Five years’ experience of relevant experience in higher education, technology, online content and delivery or equivalent combination
- Experience working with communications units in developing communication strategies and marketing plans for an online portfolio or program
- Experience working with online program management providers
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- State of Montana
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: May 13, 2021
Applications received by this date will be guaranteed consideration. Application review will begin after date above and continue until the position is filled.
Please submit the following application materials via "New Resume/CV" button below.
*Please note: only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
- Cover letter – describing research interests, experience, career goals, and your fit for the position
- Detailed CV - listing education, publications, skills, etc
- Names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Need additional help? Check out our UM Jobs FAQ website.
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Academic Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Adult & Continuing Education Programs Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Distance Education Programs Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner