Preschool Teacher, ASUM Childcare
The ASUM Childcare invites applications for a Preschool Teacher to join their team. The preschool teacher will independently be required to make decisions in regards to lesson plans, child guidance training and supervising the student staff and caregiver, within our program guidelines and procedures. The teacher will have access to the counsel of the site program assistant and director for more challenging situations or more complex decisions.
The preschool teacher will be required to:
- Effectively supervise all children for safety and overall general health
- Develop and implement age appropriate lesson plans for the children enrolled
- Serve as a role model for other caregivers and student aides
- Train and supervise student staff in their daily duties
- Establish a rapport with parents in the program, working to best meet their children’s needs
The preschool teacher will be required to supervise:
- The administrative associate caregivers in their follow through of assigned duties in classroom
- The student staff in the completion for their duties including working with the children, food preparation according to the Child and Adult Care Food Program standards
- The children closely to ensure their safety, education and general well-being
- Use of good judgment and ability to remain calm
- The knowledge of Montana State licensing standards and the ability to apply and enforce them
- Knowledge of child development, quality early childhood practices, positive child guidance techniques and the care and supervision of children
- Ability to develop and implement developmentally appropriate lesson plans
- Ability to implement and assess quality early childhood practices
- Ability to assess children’s development and progress and provide portfolio documentation of that progress
- Ability to follow written meal preparation and food service standards
- Knowledge of acceptable safety, sanitation and food handling practices
- Ability to maintain accurate records
- Ability to communicate and supervise classroom staff effectively in a constructive and positive way
- Ability to multi-task, effectively manage time, delegate tasks and prioritize
- Desire and ability to create and maintain a positive work environment, work as a team with all center staff
- Ability to communicate effectively with parents
- Implement parent involvement activities
- Ability and willingness to accept constructive feedback from parents, co-workers or supervisor
- Ability to be the leader within the classroom and confidently make decisions
Minimum Required Experience
- High School diploma and at least two (2) years’ experience in a licensed or registered child care program or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of a CDA (Child Development Associate) credential with at least 12 college credits in Early Childhood Education or at least 24 college credits in Early Childhood Education, with plans and progress toward obtaining, at a minimum, their Early Childhood Associate of Applied Science in Early Childhood Education degree
- Early Childhood Education Associate, Bachelors or Master’s degree
- Participation in or knowledge of NAEYC Accreditation and STARS for Quality
About the ASUM Childcare and UM
ASUM Child Care’s primary mission is to provide and promote the quality care and education of young children.
The University of Montana is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and has a student body of approximately 10,000 undergraduates and graduates, including more than 1,500 students of color and more than 900 international students and scholars from more than 70 countries. We encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disability preference in accordance with state law.
Nestled in at the base of Mount Sentinel and on the banks of the Clark Fork River, UM campus is described as one of the most beautiful in the US. The region boasts unparalleled year around recreational opportunities and a vibrant arts and culture community. UM offers a unique opportunity for professional growth in a magnificent environment. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
UM provides a culture that values hard work, intellectual curiosity, diversity, collegiality, innovative thinking, and teamwork, making it a great place to grow and develop professionally. Located in the heart of western Montana’s stunning natural landscape, UM attracts first rate teachers, researchers, and students from around the world. A city within a city – with its own eateries, stores, medical facilities, banking and postal services, and zip code – UM has an increasingly diverse population and rich culture.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Position Title: Preschool Teacher
Position Number: 480070
Department: ASUM Childcare
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 7:30 am to 3:30 pm, 12 months/year.
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Wednesday , April 28, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’ will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular