Department: Campus Dining - Gordon Commons
Duration of Position: Academic year / Full time
Work Schedule: Varied
Employee Type: Service
Posting Date: 04/13/2021
Union Representation: SEIU
Posting Number: SS037P
Pay Rate: $17.04/hour
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
The Operations Assistant is responsible for all aspects of food service events handled by Gordon Commons, including data entry, food preparation, delivery, execution, set-up, clean-up and follow-up.
Must be able to drive the catering vehicle.
Assists with other tasks such as inventory of catering equipment.
As a lead worker in Gordon Commons catering service, provides work direction to other employees in areas of responsibility.
Performs related duties as assigned.
Will carry out Kitchen Worker tasks when not doing catering work.
This position will have a practical test.
- Prior food service special events catering experience
- Requires experience in food preparation, including but not
limited to sandwich and salad making, and experience in food
presentation for catered events.
- Must have demonstrated ability to deal pleasantly with the
public and college community.
- Must have excellent organizational skills, interpersonal
skills, and the ability to work independently. Requires the ability
to perform basic mathematical calculations accurately, reconcile
receipts, and to operate a POS device as needed.
- Requires basic computer skills including word processing,
responding to and preparing e-mails, and data entry.
- Must be able to complete a variety of duties with attention to
detail in a fast-paced, busy environment.
- Ability to move, place and position objects weighing up to and
including 50 pounds.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license. Must
complete a Defensive Driving Program.
- Must have the ability to work independently in fulfilling
- Requires ability to communicate effectively in English,
including understanding, speaking, reading and writing is
- Willingness to work overtime, as needed. Overtime is assigned according to seniority guidelines.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply you will be required to complete the Vassar College Employment Application, including your complete work history and contact information for 3 supervisor references (please: no relatives, friends or co-workers). You will have the option of attaching a cover letter, resume, and additional reference contact information. Review of applications will begin immediately. Inquiries may be directed to the Human Resources Office at (845) 437-5820
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/1850.