Online and Distance Education Instructional Designer
• Work collaboratively with faculty and staff to design and develop high quality, innovative online courses.
• Act as an expert resource for our Canvas learning management system and related tools.
• Apply the appropriate learning theory and instructional theory necessary for excellent online course design and implementation.
• Design online content in Canvas and integrate current educational technologies to promote effective teaching strategies and to improve student-learning experiences.
• Develop and lead the instruction of (as applicable) online instructor and student support materials, tutorials, orientations, help sessions, and workshops, as needed.
• Communicate knowledge and application of effective pedagogy and use of academic technologies.
• Facilitate and coordinate administrative aspects of course development, delivery, and support.
• Act as a consultant to faculty and leadership on the process of instructional design in teaching, research, and creative works.
• Provide instructional design services, consultation and assistance with planning, coordinating and supporting course and program designs, redesigns, content and evaluation.
• Appraise course creation quality in terms of design, writing, and editing.
• Identify and provide corrective action when needed in alignment with the Quality Matters program and rubric.
• Develop and communicate course development and implementation schedules.
• Assist faculty and other subject matter experts in navigating the Canvas learning management system and developed course content, in coordination with Instructional Technology staff.
• Oversee all phases of the design process, aligning instructional content to learning outcomes, while creating instructionally sound and engaging learning opportunities, and developing quality assessment tools.
• Oversee course design revisions and product improvements in existing courses.
• Remain current and have a thorough understanding of the latest industry technology tools and trends in online education.
• Work with Information Technology and Instructional Technology staff to develop new services and test new academic and learning technologies.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Education: Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree in Instructional Design or Education preferred.
Experience: Three to five years relevant experience working as an instructional designer.
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities:
• Strong research, content analysis, and content preparation skills.
• Experience in leading and managing multiple, complex projects, and the ability to schedule, prioritize and meet varied deadlines across these projects.
• Ability to work both independently and within a team.
• Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills with strong interpersonal and presentation skills, while working with diverse content and populations.
• Proven ability to stay current with rapidly changing technologies.
• Ability and willingness to work with students from diverse political/socioeconomic backgrounds and a wide range of physical and academic abilities.
• Proven knowledge of instructional design strategies, along with the current techniques, tools, and procedures used in the design, development, and evaluation of technology-enhanced and online courses and programs.
• Experience with graphic design and AV elements appropriate for online instruction.
• Experience in online classroom teaching or workshop facilitation.
• Knowledge and understanding of Quality Matters, Online Learning Consortium and similar online learning rubrics.
• Familiarity with Universal Design and other accessibility principles to ensure course content is accessible to all learners.
• Proven ability to work effectively and communicate with subject matter experts, peers, users and media developers.
• Demonstrated competence in working with learning management systems, such as Canvas.