Human Resources Generalist
Virginia Tech is seeking a human resources generalist to provide support within the Research, Innovation, and Workforce Development portfolio for the Commonwealth Cyber Initiative (CCI).
The Commonwealth Cyber Initiative (CCI) is a state-funded $20M/year effort calling on higher education institutions and industry to build an ecosystem of cyber-related research, education, and engagement in Virginia.
This position will report to the OVPRI Director of Human Resources and be assigned as needed to support CCI. The Human resources Generalist will collaborate as part of the OVPRI HR team to provide human resources programs, services and support to administrators, faculty staff and students at CCI. This includes collaborating with the 20 plus staff of CCI located in Arlington, Virginia A primary initial focus of the position will be recruiting and staffing positions for CCI.
The HR Generalist will coordinate, coach, and execute HR activities in the functional areas of recruitment and selection, classification and compensation, employee relations, performance management, onboarding, audit and compliance as well as in other related HR areas. In addition, the HR Generalist will be expected to provide consulting services to ensure compliance with state and federal laws and regulations, university policies and procedures.
This position will be located in the Virginia Tech Research Center in Arlington, VA.
- Advanced Degree in Human Resources or other business-related field, or bachelors with significant professional experience.
- Previous experience providing HR support in an advanced HR Assistant or Generalist role.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of HR principles and practices to include recruitment, selection, and employment; employee relations; orientation and training; job analysis and job evaluation; classification and compensation; equal opportunity and affirmative action; research; and policy interpretation.
- Knowledge of federal and state employment laws and regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple, complex projects and day-to-day operations independently.
- Experience handling sensitive /confidential information with discretion.
- Experience independently developing, implementing, and maintaining accurate, auditable, and secure human resources records.
- Exceptional customer service skills with the ability to communicate in a professional and courteous manner; interact respectfully and comfortably in a diverse and multicultural environment; remain calm and polite in stressful situations; and exercise excellent judgment, discretion and initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize a variety of competing demands while meeting established deadlines.
- Significant experience in staffing and recruitment.
- HR certification (i.e. PHR or SPHR).
- HR experience in a college, university or public sector.
- HRIS database experience; preferably in a scientific field.
- Experience with University systems including PageUP, Banner HR and Time Clock Plus (TCP).
Commensurate with Experience
May 10, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Sandra Burks at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: April 13, 2021