We invite highly qualified postdoctoral applications in theoretical chemistry at Virginia Tech, working in Nick Mayhall’s group. The focus of this position is to implement new electronic structure methods designed for efficient mapping to quantum hardware.
This position is part of a larger collaborative project aimed at simulating strongly correlated molecules on small, high-fidelity quantum computers, designed by our collaborators.
Further, the position will require the incumbent to:
- Submit manuscripts based on work to peer reviewed journals and present results at national conferences.
- Provide oversight of day-to-day experiments, troubleshooting, and analysis of reactions performed by other research group members.
- Take the initiative in finding solutions to scientific problems that arise in the day-to-day research.
- Pursue research goals with routine consultation, but limited supervision.
- Supervise/train undergraduate, graduate students, and postdocs in research procedures.
- Assist in project design, execution, and interpretation of research results.
- Prepare professional presentations, reports, and publications.
- Engage in collaborative work with peers to achieve research objectives.
- Doctoral degree in chemistry or an appropriate related field.
- Strong background in theoretical chemistry methodologies.
- Demonstrably significant coding experience.
- Strong work habits and the ability to work independently as well as with a research group.
- Ability to work under limited supervision.
- Strong communication skills.
- Knowledge of quantum simulations of molecules
- Evidence of good project management.
- Publications based on research, as primary author.
- Creativity, independence and high motivation.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of personnel in the organization.
April 26, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Brandi Webb at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: April 13, 2021
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Chemistry & Biochemistry Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Home Economics & Consumer Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg