Associate Dean, Health Sciences & Career Programs
ASSOCIATE DEAN – HEALTH SCIENCES & CAREER PROGRAMS
MALCOLM X COLLEGE
Malcolm X College is seeking an Associate Dean of Health Sciences & Career Programs. This position provides academic leadership, development and the maintenance of educational programs. The position also assists the Dean, Health Sciences & Careers Programs in providing leadership and management for the program. In addition, assists the President in planning, organizing, and directing the operation, staffing, and budgeting needs of the College to Career Cluster in support of the department’s goals.
- Provides leadership and coordination in the design, implementation and continuous improvement of credit and certificate programs and services, in alignment with current and emerging industry needs Works collaboratively with faculty and industry partners on curriculum development and the implementation of courses and programs, with a focus on teaching excellence, student learning and success, assessment of outcomes, and the continuous improvement of programs.
- Cultivates productive partnerships with industry and business partners and maintains day-to-day relationships, working collaboratively to assess the relevancy of coursework, identify emerging skills and hiring trends, and to procure new internship and externship opportunities.
- Administers and manages apprenticeships and internships for careers programs, and provides administrative support to practicum programming and capstone courses required for the completion of various programs.
- Identifies and recommends staffing needs to the Dean, College to Careers. Interviews and recommends to the Dean, selection of all College of Careers faculty. Evaluates faculty and recommends retention or non-retention.
- Develops and implements a comprehensive orientation program for faculty and staff, in conjunction with the Office of Human Resources at the College and the District Office.
- Provides for an effective two-way channel of communication between the College administration and faculty to ensure the integrity of the educational programs, the currency of the offerings, and the innovation of appropriate new technologies within the department. Aggressively pursues and follows through with issues of concern and assists in resolving problems.
- Pursues and follows through with issues of concern and assists in resolving problems, including but not limited to student or faculty complaints, and follows appropriate procedures for their resolution.
- In support of the Dean, works closely with Department Chairpersons to maintain academic and logistical operations including course scheduling, faculty assignment, and ordering of textbooks.
- Responsible for employee supervision and accountability for both direct and indirect reports. Promotes and facilitates professional development and application of new learner-centered teaching strategies.
- Prepares and develops budgets for the division in cooperation with the Business Office. Assists the Dean in monitoring the budget. Develops and implements procedures for the request, purchase and maintenance of instructional equipment and supplies and ensures the maintenance of accurate inventory control.
- Works with the Registrar’s Office to facilitate seamless registration processes for Cluster students consistent with District policies and procedures.
- Ensures compliance with accreditation standards; participates in ICCB mandated program reviews, HLC institutional accreditation activities and accreditation processes for individual CTE programs.
- Within guidelines set by Board/Union Collective Bargaining Agreements, evaluates full-time and part-time faculty to ensure continuity of quality classroom instruction for both the credit and certificate programs.
- Coordinates and directs the evaluation, review and implementation of innovative curriculum additions and revisions, course outlines and syllabi and textbook selection.
- Writes proposals to seek external funding for specific Cluster projects and initiatives that require support beyond the District’s capabilities.
- Works with the Office of Institutional Effectiveness to plan and implement routine research concerning the numbers, status and success of Cluster course offerings; prepares reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and makes appropriate recommendations and/or conclusions.
- Uses computer software to prepare memoranda and spreadsheet reports detailing activities and statistics.
- Represents the college to community organizations and agencies and participates on district-wide committees.
- Pays attention to detail in all aspects of each assignment to ensure accuracy of information and reports.
- Serves as weekend and/or evening administrator for the College.
- Completion of a Doctorate degree in a health profession or Nursing discipline from a regionally accredited institution strongly preferred (i.e. Ed.D, PhD, Dr.PH, DNP, etc.). Completion of a Master’s degree in a health profession, education, or Nursing required.
- Minimum of five (5) years teaching and/or administrative work in a college setting or healthcare institution or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Previous supervisory experience preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of documented successful administrative experience as Department Chair, Associate Dean, Assistant Dean and/or Program Director in a health profession academic program or an equivalent combination of supervisory experience in a healthcare organization.
- Experience and successful track record in health professions/health careers higher education accreditation procedures, regulatory compliance, articulation processes and program review strongly preferred.
- Experience in leading/managing educational accreditation processes in areas such as Nursing, Physician’s Assistant, Surgical Technology, Pharmacy Tech, etc. strongly preferred.
- Previous experience with computer information management systems and budget management. Previous experience in writing grants.
- Must be able to work well with employees at all levels of the organization, in addition to students and other customers. Must be able to handle all situations with tact, persuasiveness, and diplomacy.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills necessary. Must be able to effectively represent the District at various meetings and outside gatherings. Must be able to conduct research, analyze data, and prepare clear and thorough reports.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
- Must be self-directed and innovative, able to assess current operations in an effort to improve the future goals of the College. Must be able to meet deadlines in a timely manner.
- Must be computer proficient with knowledge of a variety of software programs.
- Experience working in any aspect of transportation, distribution or logistics is highly desirable. Knowledge of student management programs a plus.
- Availability to work some evenings and weekends. In and out of District travel may be required.
- Applications are accepted until end of day Monday, April 26, 2021.
WE OFFER: Excellent health benefits at a low cost; Investment plans 403(b) & 457(b); SURS Retirement Plan; Generous vacation, holidays, personal and sick days; Tuition Reimbursement. For a more detailed overview of benefits, please visit our benefits page.
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within 6 months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!