Working within the Office of Financial Aid, and under the supervision of the Assistant Director of Scholarships, the Scholarship Specialist advises students regarding scholarship eligibility, applications, etc. related to incoming and ongoing students attending Dixie State University (DSU). Information about scholarships at the University can be found online at https://scholarships.dixie.edu/ .
- Review documents to determine completeness for eligibility towards scholarships. Evaluate unusual/mitigating circumstances, using documentation or information provided by the student or other entities.
- Met with students and provide assistance with eligibility, completion of scholarship applications, budgeting, etc.
- Advise students and parents concerning scholarship eligibility guidelines and programs. Conduct scholarship meetings and presentations to classes and other agencies, as well as participate in other outreach activities.
- Provide support for various operational and problem-solving functions such as working reports, reviewing scholarship applications, and determining eligibility.
- Manage and help balance state scholarships such as Regents/Opportunity, New Century, Centennial, etc. and follow state regulations, policy and guidelines.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with appropriate University departments.
- Use professional judgement to assist in reviewing all scholarship appeals.
- Demonstrate integrity and ethical behavior in working with confidential information and maintaining a high level of confidentiality.
- Interpret, apply and comply with federal, state and institutional regulations governing student financial aid. Maintain current working knowledge of guidelines/regulations relating to financial aid.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree required; Bachelor’s degree preferred. Those who will have their degree finalized by May 2021 will also be considered.
- At least two years’ financial-related office experience (e.g., accounting, bookkeeping, scholarships, grants, etc.) required; experience working in higher education and/or financial aid office preferred.
- Strong understanding and working of automated computer systems; University Banner experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to learn rules, regulations, guidelines and procedures related to federal, state and institutional scholarship eligibility and awarding.
- Knowledge of current regulations pertaining to the release of student information and records.
- Demonstrated ability of entering data correctly and precisely at all times, with a strong attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, analytical and accounting skills.
- Considerable skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with students and campus personnel, with the ability to effectively convey and exchange information.
- Ability to handle complex and stressful situations.
- Proven ability to set work priorities, manage multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment, with the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
POSITION DETAILS, COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: Full-time classified staff (overtime-eligible) position. Annual salary of $35,000, with a desired start date of July 1, 2021. Excellent benefits package included that begins on start date; includes medical, dental, vision, employee assistance and wellness programs, life, disability, retirement, undergraduate tuition waivers for employees and eligible dependents, as well as paid holidays in addition to sick and vacation leave accruals. See https://humanresources.dixie.edu/employee-benefits/ under "Benefits Summary" for more details.
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Application review begins April 28 , 2021 . Submit cover letter, resume, and contact information (including email) for three professional references electronically. If, because of a disability, you need special services or facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office at (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: Dixie State University (DSU) is an open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic institution committed to exceptional student learning and success. DSU has adopted an instructional approach of "active learning. active life" and a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. We seek faculty and staff committed to creating a student-centered active, applied and career-oriented learning environment that is student-centered. Established in 1911 as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, DSU is located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red rocks, desert climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and featuring easy access to world-class outdoor recreational opportunities. The nearest metropolitan area is Las Vegas, NV (120 miles), with amenities such as an international airport and professional sporting teams. Click here to learn more about the University.
Dixie State University is a fast-growing Utah public institution of higher education, with more than 12,000 students. We offer over 230 programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates, endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. DSU seeks to recruit and retain diverse and ambitious faculty and staff who bring new ideas, possess values and career aspirations aligned with the mission and vision, and are inspired to build a premier open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic university. DSU is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer; the President and employees of DSU are fully committed to Affirmative Action and within its programs and activities, including in admissions and employment, Dixie State University does not discriminate or tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state or local law.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations and/or DSU’s non-discrimination policies:
- Director of Equity Compliance / Title IX Coordinator: Hazel Sainsbury - firstname.lastname@example.org , HCC 579, 435-652-7747.
- Deputy Title IX Coordinator: Abby Del Giacco - email@example.com , 435-652-7731.
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, firstname.lastname@example.org , 800-421-3481.
- U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, email@example.com , 303-844-5695.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.