Director of Clinical Education, Physician Assistant
South University, the right direction for a brighter future.
Tuition Assistant Program
Long/Short Term Disability
Employee Assistance Program
Generous Paid Time Off
12 Paid Holidays
* includes domestic partner coveragePOSITION SUMMARY: The Director of Clinical Education is responsible for oversight of all aspects of the clinical phase of the Physician Assistant Program. It is expected that the Director of Clinical Education will provide effective leadership toward meeting program and Student Learning Outcomes related to the clinical phase of the program. The Director of Clinical Education will work with the Program Director and other members of the PA faculty to ensure that students consistently meet the program's Student Learning Outcomes. The Director of Clinical Education will work to ensure that the program‘s clinical phase is in compliance with all ARC‐PA accreditation standards pertaining to supervised clinical practice experiences. The Director of Clinical Education should work in synergy with his/her counterpart at PA programs on other South University campuses. Full‐time Faculty also participate in activities that promote the stature of the academic programs, Departments, and Colleges and abide by the mandates set by the South University Board of Trustees and Administration. Incumbent must assure that the South University philosophy is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position: quality services to clients; development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; sound economic principles; and maintenance of an environment which is conducive to innovation, positive thinking and expansion. KEY JOB ELEMENTS:
- Oversees clinical curriculum development, which includes the design and implementation of the clinical phase of the program.
- Supervises all members of the program's clinical education team (CET).
- Oversees ongoing assessment and improvement of the clinical phase of the program to include evaluation of student performance, preceptor performance,clinical site quality, and clinical curriculum.
- Collaborates with the Program Director and site development coordinator to design and implement an ongoing clinical site monitoring plan to ensure the program has adequate SCPE sites.
- Manages faculty coordination by assigning clinical coursework to instructional faculty and preceptors.
- Provides teaching and instruction in the PA program including:
- Overseeing coordination of instruction for all clinical courses and rotations annually.
- Lecturing in areas of clinical and/or professional expertise.
- Providing academic advising as a Small Group Facilitator and Student Advisor.
- Provides input to assist with accreditation activities, as well as ongoing program evaluation and mission statement review.
- Participates in the program's admissions process to include student recruitment, student evaluation (through application review and candidate interviews), and student selection meetings.
- Collaborates with the Director of Didactic Education on ongoing assessment of student performance toward attaining the program's Student Learning Outcomes.
- Engages in service, community and campus relations, and scholarly activities appropriate to the role of Director of Clinical Education and PA faculty.
- Participates in faculty development opportunities each year as required in the areas of teaching and academic administration.
- Provides remedial instruction as needed.
- Adheres to university policies as described in the Employee Handbook, the Faculty Supplement to the Employee Handbook, job description, or other separate guidelines.
- Remains in compliance with South University's academic policies and procedures, educational policies, both SACSCOC and programmatic accreditation standards, and state agency regulations.
- Assists with the investigation of student problems requiring academic actions according to South University policies and procedures.
- Upholds Program/Department/College initiatives designed to achieve student outcomes, and Campus/community relations.
- Performs instructional duties as assignedand as outlined in the job description and in accordance with the provisions of the Faculty Supplement to the South University Employee Handbook.
- Assists with other responsibilities as determined by the Program Director and/or the Campus Dean of Academic Affairs.
- Terminal degree as a Physician Assistant; current NCCPA certification; eligible for licensure as a PA in the state in which the campus is located.
- 1-2 years academic experience (preferred); 3 years clinical experience (required).
- Experience in PA/medical classroom teaching and PA education administration highly preferred.
- For graduate programs, a terminal degree from a regionally accredited institution in the discipline to be taught, with a concentration in the teaching discipline (minimum of 18 graduate semester hours in the teaching discipline) required.
- Active, valid, and unencumbered state licensure or certification as applicable to the discipline.
- Membership in a professional association tied to area of instruction (preferred).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to build successful relationships with students and faculty.
- Strong interpersonal skills with student and staff populations.
- Excellent critical thinking, conflict resolution, and decision‐making skills.
- Superior organization, prioritization, and self-motivation skills.
- Strong computer skills, including MS Office Suite, ExamSoft, and WebAdMIT.