Assistant Director - Residence Life
Residence Life, a unit within the Division of Student Life at West Virginia University, is seeking applications for an Assistant Director of Residence Life. Under the general supervision of the Executive Director, the Assistant Director is responsible for assisting with the overall administrative operations for the WVU Main Campus residence hall system. The Assistant Director will be challenged to foster and facilitate learning opportunities for residents through the residential living experience. The Assistant Director reports to the Executive Director and supports key areas of programmatic development and campus community to include facilitation of student conduct, residence hall programming, staff development, staff selection, staff training, safety and security, facility operations, student development, special projects, and crisis management.
This live-out position is considered an essential employee and will participate in an on-call rotation schedule. Assumes weekday, weekend, emergency closures, and holiday duty coverage for the campus.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Work cooperatively with Housing and Residence Life to achieve departmental goals and objectives while also remaining closely tied to the greater vision developed for the Division of Student Life.
- Effectively manage assigned staff, both professional and student, including staff selection, training and professional development.
- Understand and implement best practices specific to the Housing and Residential Life field.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations within a particular area or unit within Residence Life.
- Serve as liaison with University services in support of operations, including the Office of Student Conduct; Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion; Dining Services; Division of Facilities & Services; etc.
- Initiate efforts to help WVU constituents, such as faculty, parents, alumni and administrators, to understand student life in the residence halls.
- Establish and implement policies and procedures pertaining to residence halls and student conduct.
- Create programs that reflect University service goals.
- Develop and coordinate the marketing and communication process for current and future students and families coming to residence halls, including development of letters, brochures, web pages, etc.
- Serve as the co-advisor to and provide valuable counsel for student groups with Housing and Residence Life.
Applicants that apply on or before April 30, 2021 will receive first consideration.
- Master’s Degree in higher education, student personnel, student life or related field required.
- Minimum 3 years experience in the field of student development and/or program development
- Minimum 3 years experience with supervision, management, and activities planning
- Demonstrated sensitivity and effective work efforts regarding equity, diversity and inclusivity
- Proven effective oral and written communication skills in relating to students, parents, administrators, and staff utilizing critical thinking skills to resolve problems and concerns.
- Residence Hall experience preferred
- Driver’s License required. Must be able to visit resident halls and provide transportation to events if needed.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley — the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown
- Community Relations & Institutional Outreach Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown
- Other Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown